Photographing FROM the Eiffel Tower

gregp

<p>I am trying to decide on a telephoto lens for a trip to Paris. The longest lens that I will need would provide enough reach to photograph Arc de Triomphe (as the main subject) from the top of the Eiffel tower. Would 200 mm on a full frame camera be sufficient? Thank you in advance for your help.</p>

<p>What kind of a view do you want? The Tower is just about 1 mile from the Arc. The Arc is 164' tall. It is also positioned so that you would see it obliquely - if looking through the arch of the Arc is twelve o'clock, the view from the Tower would be at eight o'clock.</p>

<p>If you want a good view of the Arc de Triomphe, there are a lot better places than the Tower though.</p>

<p>Joel is right, it isnt the best view but with the height of the tower you do get an interesting perspective. 200mm would be more than enough, it may even be too much. More interesting and often overlooked views of the Arc might come from La Defense along the Axe Historique down back toward the Louvre.</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses. I have photographed Arc de Triomphe in the past from many vantage points but not from the Eiffel Tower. I was looking for a different perspective. I have seen photos of the Arc from the Eiffel tower, but usually as part of a wide angle view. I wanted a telephoto view where the Arc would be the obvious main subject. I was trying to decide between the 70-200/4.0 and 100-400 as my telephoto lens. I prefer the lighter lens.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...