new gear selection help

ryan_richter

<p>Hello to all,<br>

Well to start off, I am new to wedding photography and have found a passion for it and want to further my skills and be able to give the wedding couple pictures that will amaze them for many years. I love the thought of it, now I just have to live up to it. Right now, I am in the position where I would like to get some new tools to help me achieve this better. <br>

The gear I have:<br>

Canon 1d mark 3, 40d, 580 flash, profoto 600w 2 light set<br>

17-40 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8 (did nature photo), 100mm macro f/2.8<br>

Post production computer is good, software- cs4, nik software set, photomatrix, onone set<br>

I am looking to get:<br>

35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.2, 135mm f/ 2, canon 5d mark 2, also looking at a medium format camera.<br>

Open to all suggestions, and I got a bit of time before I get the gear and would really love to hear your thoughts. My thoughts on the matter is that glass wont go bad and I need a better second camera and keep the 40d as a back-up. The rest of my gear is fine, just get some specialty glass to allow more room for creativity and low light. Thank you all in advance.</p>

<p><strong>Moderator Note:</strong> Ryan, "signatures" are prohibited on the forums, particularly when there is a website or blog link. Your website and blog addresses should be on your personal page so that anyone can click on your name and see them.</p>

<p>Ryan,<br>

Josh did a good job with this article and this would be a good place to start:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment">http://www.photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment</a><br>

You have what John Shaw called "lens lust". In your case it appears you have "equipment lust" LOL<br>

There is nothing wrong with having good equipment, in fact I have a little lens lust myself. However, the kit you now have is top of the line and you will be hard pressed to improve your IQ with other eq. I would add at least one fast prime like 50 1.4 and second 580 flash. The faster primes will give you some additional creativity. However, I've found I don't have a shooting style that allows me to constantly change lenses.<br>

Great images are made by photographers appling their talents not cameras or lenses! <br>

Good luck.<br>

Cliff</p>

<p > </p>

Possibly a fast wide prime or zoom, but generally your kit looks just fine as it is (except maybe for backup flash). Start shooting first before you figure out what else you're missing. Don't get too hung up on gear, you have a very capable kitright now as it is. I would advise that you buy nothing after the backup flash for a while. Invest time (and money?) in learning your craft.

<p>> In your view, why is the 5DMkII <em>"a better second camera [than the40D]"</em>?</p>

<p>You might reconsider the formats you intend to use and establish <em>why you would choose any particular format of camera</em>, or not . . . so . . .</p>

<p>> have you any particular rationale for deciding upon an APS-H & 135 format kit?</p>

<p>Consider that: if you plan on <strong><em>using</em></strong> a triple format kit (as opposed to just having the 40D sitting around as “spare”) then a better trio of Primes is 24MkIIL; 50(L or F/1.4); 135L.</p>

<p>Similarly if you only plan on using the 1DMkIII and 5DMkII, the above set of Primes I mention is still a more useful set than your suggestions, albeit they not as flexible as if you had the 40D (or similar) as a working camera.</p>

<p>The 17to 40 is a little odd, especially considering the other two fast zooms and I suggest you consider the 16 to 35L MkII – I think that the extra stop would be used - at least I definitely use it.</p>

<p>Similarly, you might (emphasis on might) consider the 70 to 200F/2.8L IS - although I do not have that version and I am happy - but there are sometimes uses for the IS at Weddings and having it is better than not hving it, if you intend use the that particular telephoto lens often - but I don't use it vey much at all (at Weddings).</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>All that said about the lenses and Wedding Kit Theory .... <strong><em>your critical need is another on camera Flash unit - perhaps two</em></strong> – your first step is to just do what Jim McKinnon suggested.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>William, I was considering doing something similar, using all three bodies, but having the 1d and 5d be the primary and 40 being a specialty style lens or my zoom to have a little extra reach. I am looking at the 5d because I want the full frame clarity and noise reduction in lower light also why I am looking into medium format. The problem I don’t like about medium format is that I would have to get lenses for a whole new system when I have great ones for my current system. <br>

Regarding the prime lenses, I found for me, I am at those three focal lengths alot with my zoom lenses. I was looking into the 24 but am not sold on it yet, but am going to play with it a bit more. The reason I have the 17-40 instead of the 16- 35 is I don’t use the 17- 40 enough to need to upgrade it and it does a great job for me as is when I do use it. The flashes I forgot to mention, yes I will be getting a flash or two. Sorry, my 70-200 is IS as well as my 400 (if it matters), I missed putting that detail in there.<br>

but I just want to clarify, I know that I have a good set up, but like I keep hearing and my personal feelings, if you have the money to get the best gear get it, and for me this might be my last chance for a long while to do so with just getting married. So right now I am trying to figure out what I can get for the long run of things that I can grow into or that I have a hole that needs to be filled and make sure the gear I have will last and still be just as marketable 5+ years from now. So I intend to take advantage while I got the chance and invest in my self alittle bit. Since school is covered that just leaves gear, saving the money doesn’t matter much because I still have a career that I make enough in and will have it till my business can get off the ground. So any tips on what you guys found to be the most helpful item, your go to lenses or vital piece of equipment or software, that’s what I would like to find out. Thank you all for your help.</p>

<p>Ryan, allow me to provide a different perspective ... if no other reason than to be thought provoking ... before moving forward rather than after.</p>

<p>Step back and really think through what it is you want to bring to wedding photography. The wedding photography market is absolutely saturated with new, enthusiastic shooters, and many are not new to photography. So, the desire to provide images that will thrill your clients for years to come has to be fueled by a singular fresh approach, or be in danger of just blending in.</p>

<p>With that notion clarified, a style defined, and a passion disciplined to your vision ... what gear you may need or not need will be much clearer. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>It sounds like you want to do it right, so here is my thoughts:</p>

<p>Ditch the 1D Mark III; sell it. A better wedding body is the 5D Mark II; so with the proceeds get three, or get two and for the third get the 5D Mark I. Fullframe is best for weddings for the lower noise, higher MP for better crops and more details too.</p>

<p>All you really need is the 35L f1.4, 85L F1.2, and 135L F2 and lets throw in the 200L F2.8. The fast apertures mean faster focus acquisition, and brighter view finder too. Get two more 580ex flash units too. Get two more bodies for backups and to wear a 2nd & 3rd prime to minimize lens changes. Get two tri-pods too.</p>

<p>Get an L-frame for all three bodies/flashes too...L-frames can really improve the comps!</p>

<p>You could shoot an entire wedding with the kit I mentioned here...I do ;-) And with these lenses and proper flashing you almost never need to go faster then ISO 400, honest!</p>

<p>If you insist on zooms, get rid of the 17-40L and replace it with the 16-35L F2.8 for the faster apertuer and yes it still is handy even if you never shoot at F2.8 because it will make the view finder brighter and focus acquisition will be faster and more accurate....F4 lenses don't belong in a wedding kit, just my oppinion...leave those for landscapes.</p>

<p>That is hardware....on the photographer side, master dragging-the-shutter, and shooting with the body in manual for interior shots....I always leave the flash in full-auto E-TTL mode, as it is that good.</p>

<p>One thing you will find is that even with the "best" gear, your biggest challenge is composing...composition is the hardest thing to do, and the best gear will not help you there...develop your eye, your ability to compose interesting shots...</p>

<p>I have had to buy the whole prime gamut between 24L and 135L to find out what I like best personally. I believe it's an individual preference and you may feel more uncomfortable with some focal lengths than others. I think wide angle gives a lot of interesting perspective options you don't have with longer lenses, and my latest purchases have all been wide (except a 50 f/1.4, so inexpensive compared to the others!).</p>

<p>Currently I use the 35L and 85L the most, but I just bought a 24L and will be able to try it in a few weeks...I almost never use the 135L because of its mid-range position between 85 and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I believe the 24L will largely usurp the 35L for daily use, and the 85L always usurps the 135L for me.</p>

<p>I shoot with 2 original 5D's and 1 40D. Camera bodies have come last for me in terms of upgrading, and I think the 5D is a very good camera. I do have 2x 580EX flashes, but I also use a lot of off-camera flash with Sunpak 383s and radio triggers.</p>

<p><strong><em>"I believe the 24L will largely usurp the 35L for daily use"</em></strong><br>

<br>

I have sound this to be true for me - for events now and also the last few Weddings last year. My 24 is my most used prime. I too have a dual format kit. Indeed ii too believe all this ha a lot to do with one's individuality.<br>

<br>

In regard to your the 24, I would be interested to read your thoughts after a month or so of using the 24, Joey. <br>

<br>

I found my 24 was more useful on my APS-C initially - it took me a few weeks to slip into regular use of 24 my 5D - but the 24 is used on the 5D more than the 35. Often, to save a lens change I shoot with the 24 and crop to the FoV of the 35, later. <br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>I have been looking more into the 24mm, which is one that I am going to have to walk around with those two first to see which I like better.<br>

but just to update this tread, I did get the 85mm 1.2 and the 5d mk2 and waiting till I get back before getting any light or other equipment. But was also thinking of selling my 40d in favor of a 5d mk1 as a back up. looking at the picture quality between the mk1 and 2 it isn’t that bad, plus they are pretty similar in price right now interestingly enough (on craigslist anyway) I am sure it is the age old debate but was curious of your guys thoughts on it. I am looking into the 16-35 and might just try to sell the 17-40 and pay the difference but still not sure if now is the right time to do that, but when is it ever a great time to try and sell gear or trade it. <br>

But has anyone had any dealings with the pocket wizards designed for the canon? I saw that it could boost the sync speed to 1/8000 of a second? Which is pretty amazing and well beyond what I would ever need, but 1/500-750 I might, how affective have any of you found this system? I know I love the one I got for my strobes; if it delivers half of what it said it does I might be worth a hard look. </p>

<p>You might be interested in the following, still active thread.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VujO">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VujO</a></p>

<p>You may also want to look up William W.'s posts on having a dual format kit. Ultimately, it is up to you and how you shoot. If you haven't shot a lot of weddings, I would say keep what you have now. Give it some time, and then look at full frame/cropped sensor again. In the above thread, Marc Williams points out how the urge to keep buying and selling will definitely drain your wallet. When it comes to gear, be sure your buying or selling really makes sense for you. Make sure you look at it from a business point of view.</p>

<p>Re the triggers--if you mean the Pocket Wizard Flex system, I don't have direct experience. However, boosting the sync speed can be done without them--that is high speed sync and inherent in the Canon flash system. You can use off camera flashes, using high speed sync, using the Canon wireless system. The Pocket Wizards themselves do not grant this ability. What it does (and also Radio Poppers) is make the triggering system more solid, as the Canon wireless system can be spotty at times. I believe the Flex system does boost the 'natural', non-high speed sync up one or two shutter speeds, but I also heard (unless it is changed now) that the 5DMkII does not work well in that mode. In any case, in high speed sync mode, you lose flash reach. Sorry if you knew a lot of this before, but just thought I'd try to clarify.</p>

<p><strong><em>"But was also thinking of selling my 40d in favor of a 5d mk1 as a back up."</em></strong><br>

As much as knowing what other's use is useful for you - My DSLR kit is: 20D, 30D, 5D, (400D Backup) (303b Film Back up). I stopped Weddings about 8 months ago - but my kit would have been overhauled if I kept going. My new (Wedding) kit would have been: 7D, 5DMkII, (30D, Keep the old one ) (5D Keep the old one - as back up Full Frame). <br>

<br>

<em >IMO the 7D + 5DMkII is the basis of a powerful Wedding Kit and makes for a flexible dual format kit for most other work.</em><br>

<em > </em><br>

Even though my paying Photography work is not as frequent, I expect that will be my main kit later this year - purchased in two steps the 7D first.My strategy of a light weight flexible dual kit is based upon APS-C and 135 format and minimal lens - only two zooms: 16 - 35 and 70 - 200. I have found those two zooms and three Primes: 24, 50, 135 can cover mostly 95% of situations. <br>

<br>

Although I own more prime lenses than the three listed - I only own those two zooms and I only own one other zoom lens in all my camera kits - so I have a bias to Primes. Also I have a bias toward not using Flash - so Fast Primes are my friend.<br>

<br>

***<br>

<br>

<strong><em>"Ultimately, it is up to you and how you shoot. If you haven't shot a lot of weddings, I would say keep what you have now."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >It is up to you, ultimately and IMO the process is very important – so I agree to take a slower advance doing a few Weddings with the gear you know. Even though you (seemingly) are committed to Canon, Marc Williams’ article on Wedding gear is a good source for “the process”: <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00V98v">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00V98v</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p >And this is an example of the (dual format) process my second cuz Lindsay, went through: <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00SSZc">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00SSZc</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>