peter_popp1

I was dropping a roll of 120 film in a mailer yesterday, and then

wondered if I need to do anything to protect it. I feel my 35mm

rolls are safe in their plastic canisters, by the 120 rolls seem

pretty vulnerable without protection. What do you guys do, if

anything, when mailing individual rolls of 120 film to protect

them.

Thanks...

As a kid the postmaster of our little town showed us how to wrap the 120 or 620 rolls with a piece of shirt cardboard. This helped to prevent the ends of the reels from coming off the rolls during mailing. At that time the 620 and 120 reels were all sheet metal; If the roll was dropped on its head; the side flange would pop off and expose/fog the entire top or bottom edge of ones film. I had this happen once long time ago; but never when protecting the roll with a small piece of cardboard. It also prevents damage to the roll a bit if the roll is crushed by a big box. Meisel Photochrome in Atlanta had some "how to prevent film damage to our lab when mailing" brochures in the mid 1970's; that showed ways to protect ones film during transit.

My childish postmaster suggested that I put my name and address on each roll. That way if the package gets ripped open, they could at least get the film back to me. I have had the ends of the plastic reels broken off during shipment when not protected by the cardboard wrapper mentioned above.

Gene