Prime.vs.Zoom for traveling to NY

alireza_r

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>I am traveling to NY city in two weeks for the first time and I am thinking of taking zoom or prime lenses with me. The camera is 5D and the prime rig is the 35f2+85f1.8 and the zoom rig is Sigma12-24+24-105. Recently I travelled to Andalusia, Spain, with the zoom lenses and boy was I content about having the two of them (especially the 12mm!). So why should I even think of taking primes instead? The reason is that I think my photos are becoming more and more repetitive using the same technique of shooting with these two lenses (Here is the link to the <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8413680@N08/sets/72157623344469855/">gallery</a>. You can see what I mean). So I thought by taking fast primes, I can work on shooting wide open, low light, shallow DOF, and candid people shots instead. The bonus is carrying less weight as well.<br>

So the question is, do you think I'll miss the wide and ultra-wide end "a lot" in NY? Any experience about shooting in NY? Or more generally, do you prefer primes for traveling? If yes, why? <br>

BTW, carrying all of them is out of question, as I don't have a bag to have them all together and I really don't want to get into the hassle of changing lenses even more.</p>

<p>It is a tradeoff. Yes, you can get narrower DOF from the primes, and those two fine primes are lighter and smaller than the combination of the two zooms. (I have both of the primes and the 24-105 zoom) On the other hand, you'll be hard pressed to respond as quickly to changing situations and you won't be able to cover as wide a range of focal length.</p>

<p>I often shoot street/urban subjects. Sometimes I go with primes and sometimes with zooms. If I had to pick one and only one... I would go with zooms.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I would take them all.. take the zooms in your photo carry on, and the primes in your suitcase. Just take 1 or 2 lens(es) on daytrips, leave the rest in your hotel.. if you find you miss a shot, you can pop back the next day with a different lens..<br>

And take at least one day to visit B&H and Adorama :-) They might just sell the bag you need. A little powershot might be handy as well. I use mine a lot in city's, where i don't want to walk around with 5dII and 24-70 2.8/70-200 2.8 is.</p>

<p> </p>