Pen EF - Aperture doesn't change.

adam_white7

<p>I have an Olympus Pen EF (the one with the built in flash) and 30 photos in to my first film, I thought this is to easy, it takes every time. Then looking in to the lens in the dark and in the light with the shutter half pressed I noticed the aperture does change, it is at f22 when resting then always opens up to f3.5 when pressed?<br>

Any ideas?<br>

Is it easy to remove the top plate with the two screws (one on the back and one on the side) and shine a torch in to see if the needle is moving?<br>

I knew it was to good to be true winning it of ebay for £30.</p><div>00VrNT-223807784.JPG.3dbacc98fb7275b563caccb76ac18054.JPG</div>

<p>Dead or malfunctioning selenium cell meter?</p>

<p>I have never owned that particular model, but I'm assuming there's some sort of metering window, either outside on the body or in the finder, where you can see a meter needle indicating the aperture in use. Is that correct? Maybe not though. If there is, is there any indication the meter is active, or is the needle just dead no matter the ambient light levels? I would figure/guess the aperture mechanism is tied to the meter and if the meter isn't working, what you are seeing may be the result.</p>

<p>I fixed a pen eed.. if it has the same same shutter as yours, this info may apply:<br>

The EED I had used a combination shutter/aperture. Basically the shutter will open only partially or fully in response to light.<br>

This mechanism had a very weak spring so it did not take much to foul it up.<br>

Mine had oil on it making the blades stick. Usually a bit of lighter fluid will free up a sicky shutter. But in this case I had to completely dissasemble the shutter and rub some graphite into the blades in order for it to work smoothly.<br>

if you have done lens repair before this will not be too hard. But setting proper infiniti focus is tricky. It may help to mark it before disasembly</p>