Saunders VCCE or Dichroic for B & W

ed_candland1

I was wondering. I'm thinking of setting up a Darkroom for B & W and

have been interested in the Saunders line. I have heard a lot of good

things on this forum about them. I was wondering which head would be

best for VC papers. I thought the VCCE would be a no brainer but

after thinking about it some and reading some posts I'm not sure. In

the past I've like the seagull papers and wanted to try the VC type.

I have read that with the VCCE head you need to use the 4-5 setting

to get grade 2. I know that there's 2 channels, one for Kodak and one

for Ilford. Are there problems using other brands besides those 2 and

would a dichroic head be more flexable? Or maybe save a bit of money

and just buy the plain diffusion head and some filters

Thanks, Ed

I had the question about the Saunders head. They told me that Channel 1 was for Kodak and Channel 2 is for all other papers. The VCCE is a dream to use, the only drawback is fairly extended printing times (with the 200w unit), particularly when you are using a smaller aperture. The middle model of the Saunders timer is a nice addition to the set up as is the Saunders easel. You should also buy a voltage stabilizer to add to the set up. By all means pay the extra money for the head, it will save you a lot of frustration compared with fiddling with filters and adjusting timing each time.

I can't give you advice about other papers, but the convenience of the speed matched VCCE head is fabulous. Expose for the highlights and just twist the knob for any other contrast setting to control the darks without having to make any time adjustments. Hoo Wee do I love this. I have run tests and it really does work just like that. I would highly recommend the VCCE. . .

Scott

I have used the dichroic head on the original Saunders LPL for about ten years. At work we have a VCCE Saunders, also the less powerful unit. I cannot say that either outperforms the other. I enjoy either and can move the same negative from unit to unit with very few adjustmenst.

As far as enlargement times are concerned, I consistently enlarge 4x5 TX,TM100 and Tech Pan to 11x 14 and 16x 20 and occasionally larger. My lenses are not special--Schneider 150 and 135 Componon-S. At a moderate aperture f11.5, my times rarely exceed 25 seconds with filtration applied. Paper is Oriental, Forte, some Ilford MGFB. Dektol 1.5 to 1 or Agfa Neutol WA are my developers. In other words no magic lenses or chemistry.

Anyways, I think either is a joy to use. I have no need for the stronger and hotter bulb, but others may.

Bob

I use the 4550XLG with the VCCE head and Ilford MGWT. I find that the "constant exposure" works well from grade 0 to about grade 3.5, then falls off from 3.5 to 5.5. Printing times can get long with small, dense negatives. I use both the 35mm and 6x7 accessory mixing chambers.

My biggest complaint is that the accessory masking attachment leaks a lot of light. Repainting the underside and inside surfaces flat black helps.

Otherwise, I very happy with the 4550. I've used Beseler, Omega, and Durst, and the Saunders performs as well as any. (Though I miss the Beseler "Negaflat" carrier.)

Ed,

I have the Saunders 4500-II (the one with the less powerful lamp). I have not had a problem printing 4x5, or medium format negatives with this enlarger, using the 4x5 mixing chamber. My exposure times are not out of the ordinary, ranging from 15 seconds to 25 seconds or so. I usually stop down my Rodenstock 135mm 2-3 stops. Most of my prints are 11x14.

I really like this enlarger.

Caveat: They say it does not need to be aliged. My experience is otherwise. I have to realign it from time to time. I use little shims(usually film) to do the aligning.