Filter examples?

wacovoice

<p>Anybody have a gallery that shows what the different filters do?<br>

Example: a photo with one filter on it and maybe a small explanation of what it did to the shot, then another etc etc. <br>

Right now I'm buying books and about to take courses to learn these things but just thought I would ask so I could see for myself.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>In practical terms, there are only a few filter types you're likely to want to look into:<br /><br />1) Neutral Density (sometimes referred to as "ND"). Basically, sunglasses for your camera. To allow you to shoot in bright light with a wider aperture or slower shutter speed than would normally work without overexposure. These come in various densities, blocking more or less light. You're not going to see examples, really, in a before-and-after way, in this case.<br /><br />2) Graduated/Gradient Neutral Density. Same as (1), but instead of the whole filter being dark, it starts dark in one area, and gradually transitions to <em>not</em> dark. Typically, you'd use that to allow you to shoot a scene where the sky is very bright, and you want to darken above the horizon. Or, variations on that theme. You'll see this used when somebody wants a longer exposure to capture shadow details, but doesn't want to cook another part of the scene.<br /><br />3) Polarizers. These are used to reduce reflections (like, off of water, or windows), and can also help to make the sky look deeper/darker and improve cloud texture.<br /><br />4) Clear/UV/Protection. These are there to help prevent damage to the front element of your lens, if you're out in circumstances where that sort of thing can happen. Make sure you get one that's multi-coated, or it's flare city.</p>

<p>Cool thanks.<br>

So the other effects I see in some photo's like making the sky and clouds a brilliant blue (almost glowing), or making the picture dark around the edges etc are either from a photoshop program or from knowing how to really use the settings in the camera itself right?<br>

Thanks for letting me know about the filters I'm going to get those and try them out in different settings.<br>

Also I seen alot of your shots and they are great!<br>

They made me think of something I wasn't thinking about before, on alot of those hunts etc it's usually early morning and even in mist and rain, what do you use to to keep your camera dry while shooting in those conditions?<br>

PS: My fav is the pup with the hunting supplies, my grandfather raised hunting dogs and he would have absolutely loved your shots. <br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Hey, thanks for looking at those shots, Matt. <br /><br />Working out in the field, I do what I can to keep the gear dry ... but it's those conditions that are part of the thought process when I choose lenses, camera bodies, tripods/monopods, bags, etc. I like weather-sealed gear that is at least somewhat resistant to damp conditions (most of my field work is with a Nikon D300 and their 70-200/2.8 - both tolerate grubby conditions pretty well, but I do keep a 77mm multicoated UV filter on that zoom lens when I'm out in the unfriendly-to-lenses stuff.<br /><br />As for the stuff you mention above (deeply saturated skies, creative vignetting around the edges of the frame, etc) - yes indeed, most of that starts with good, clean exposures ... and is wrapped up in post production after the fact, in editing.<br /><br />Don't buy filters you don't <em>know</em> you need. Unless you know you have a use for one - hold off. And think carefully about the size(s) you buy. If you think you'll wind up with a lens that has a larger filter ring, buy the larger filter and get a step-up ring for speciality filters. You'll save money that way.</p>

<p>Hey thanks again,<br>

Right now I only have three lens's which I will pobably stick with right now to learn with, the 50m 1.8 d the 70-300m 4.5/5.6 and the 18-105mm 3.5/5.6.<br>

These was the only lens's I could get here at the time (Waco Texas not to photography friendly) and I will definately be getting better ones later so yeah I'll take your advice thank you, didn't know good filters was that high...ouch! but will be worth it later after I learn allot more.<br>

thanks again. </p>