Subject-rich suggestions for Thailand

steve_wagner1

<p>Hello, I will be in shooting in Thailand for two months mid-June to mid-August and would appreciate recommendations on particularly strong subjects and locations. I will be focusing on festivals, religion, culture, people, old architecture, as well as nature, landscapes, wildlife, while in Asia on a longer contiguous trip, and want to do the same in TL.<br>

<br /> I am not penny pinching but also don't want to spend needlessly. I'm ok with some tours if they get me places I could not get to otherwise. I will have a full kit with me - tripod, flash, etc. and up to 400mm prime, so anything is fair game. I have no inhibitions about photographing people in foreign places and people will be a big part of what I do in TL.<br>

<br /> I do not want to waste time, and I'd prefer to go to the most interesting, substantive, and photogenic places and stay put for a while at each, rather than do a whirlwind tour.<br>

<br /> I would like to strike a balance. As far as nature, I am interested in wildlife and ecology, but I've worked a lot in tropical rain forests and I know that most places require huge amounts of time to yield their rewards. I'd like to zero in on the natural places that have a lot to offer and can do so in a fairly compact time period (e.g. lots to shoot, accessible, and a decent trail system). As far as culture, festivals, religion, people, I want to balance between places that have a lot to shoot but not be in tourist traps the whole time.<br>

<br /> I know it's a broad and general request for info, but any suggestions for or against certain itinerary options are greatly appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>Bangkok would fit best for balance and efficiency. It is a huge metropolis that has over 10 million people, a bit of history, culture and temples. There are many other places to explore...Isan, the North, Central Thailand, Southern Islands.etc... Two months during wet season means you got to do the bulk of the shooting in the morning hours if you want nice light. It will rain alot in the late afternoons. Avoid the deep south unless you got pretty strong nerves. </p>

<p>You may want to be a little more specific though. From your post, you seem to like everything (people, nature, architecture, culture, festivals, religions) so it is hard to give more specific info. If it is your first time here, I would just go North to South. Chang Rai to Hat Yai with at least 2 weeks in Bangkok. Forget Isan and the east this time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It really depends on what region/coast you are talking about but technically, the "wet season" is June to late October/early Nov, technically. However, Sept and Oct/Nov are heaviest but June to August will bring late afternoon showers (good light hours) usually. The rain is quite short but usually pours in the late afternoon once the humidity overloads...tour operators and guest houses/motels will be cheaper at the time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Brett<br>

I write a blog mainly about life here in Isaan (Northeast Thailand). There are many things to photograph here during Mid June to Mid August. You can read my various blogs for that time period at <a href="http://www.hale-worldphotography.blogspot.com">www.hale-worldphotography.blogspot.com</a> to determine if they are of interest to you i.e. rice planting, funerals, rocket competition, religious festivals, Monk ordinations.<br>

As they say here "UP2U". I would recommend only one week in Bangkok and suggest you do come to Isaan. No matter what, you really need to go to Maehongson, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai.<br>

Leslie is correct on the weather. During the rainy season you most likely will have rain everyday but seldom will you have a complete day of rain. The rain is typically from thunderstorms in the late afternoon or early evening. You will quickly accept that being wet from rain is no different from being wet from prespiration. Wear light weight and appropriate fabrics to dry out quickly.</p>

<p>You could spend rest of your life shooting in Bangkok. To me Bangkok is the epitome of Thailand, both past and present. Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai are both very nice but the next person looking at your photos couldn't tell the difference between them and any other nice place in Thailand. My suggestion would be to spend a lot of time in Bkok and take a few days trip to Saigon in Vietnam, Phnom Penh and/or Angkor Wat in Cambodia or Vientiane in Laos. That should keep you busy for a while ;)<br>

Midday light is harsh in SE-Asia so you really need to be up at fiveish in the morning to get the best of light.</p>

<p>I have lived and worked in Thailand. It is not the most photogenic of the SE Asia countries but if you were to spend 2 months in Thailand alone then Chang Mai has to be a must, beautiful old buildings, lots of wildlife parks, lots of things to do etc etc. A very good mix of old and new, tradition and tourist tat. There are a lot of companies running all sorts of trips out of Chang Mai too, hill trekking, elephants, rafting, cooking etc etc. Do check through them all and do your homework, talk to people there and get recommendations, there are many organisations that are doing great care and conservation work, unfortunately there are too many out to make a quick buck and damn the consequences.</p>

<p>I wouldn't spend two months in Thailand without having at least that much time to devote Vietnam, Cambodia and Lao though.</p>

<p>I would do what Allen suggests. Head to Issan. Monsoon is the best time to shoot, as the colours are fantastic.<br>

Work hard to get off the beaten track and don't move around too much. Thailand gets 12 million tourists a year and you want to get as far away as possible from all of them.<br>

อีสานเขียว!</p>

<p>If you decide on Bangkok (which is great for gritty street scenes), also try the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace, and the "church" (Wat Niwet Thamprawat) on the opposite bank across the canal. There are many monks and often the boys are cleaning the river of refuse (weeds and litter), and can be seen playing int he water. The Summer Palace itself has many pagodas given from different countries, so the architectural variety can be interesting. <br>

For reclining buddhas, go to Wat Yai Chaya Mongkol. The temple, well and buddha there is quite interesting (and there is a good beef noodle place on the other side of the road a couple of hundred metres down the road).<br>

Enjoy! </p><div>00Vs7h-224197684.jpg.077761a1c008dc5ebba1c60bb44e38a5.jpg</div>