Help: CV 21/4 P or 25/4 P for my M8?

<p>Hello<br>

I´ve read all I could find of previous posts but didn't quite find strong arguments for or against either lens. Mind that I'm talking about the new rangefinder coupled versions and that I do not want to consider larger, heavier and much more expensive lenses...<br>

Hopefully some of you have tried either or both of these CV lenses on a M8 / M8.2 and can give feedback on the following points. I believe this would be useful to other users who stand in front of a choice.<br>

1) can the CV 21/4 P be used om a M8 without external finder (if one doesn't wear glasses, that is) or does is in practice just get too tiring to move your eyes around to see the edges of the viewfinder?<br>

2) what brightlines does the 21/4 P bring out on a M8?<br>

3) the 25/4 P brings out the 24 / 35 brightlines on a M8 and will work fine without external finder. Would this still be usable without external finder on a M9 (just in case I should sell my house and by one in the future..;-) ?<br>

4) How does the optical quality of the 21/4P and 25/4P compare in real life?<br>

5) I just don't fully understand this coding thing. Can either the 21/4 P or the 25/4 P be used uncoded without major problems? I mean shouldn't much of vignetting disappear as a result of crop factor? Here in Norway I may not be able to get the lens coded (unless cameraquest, who sells them on ebay, can send it to me already coded)<br>

I very much appreciate any feedback. Fine if you can only write about either lens, I'll put the pieces together in my mind..<br>

Andrea</p>

<p>!. No. At not comfortably and without a vivid imagination. You'll need a 28mm external finder for all practical purposes.</p>

<p>2. 28 / 90.</p>

<p>3. No. The M9 is full-frame and you'd need a 25mm external finder.</p>

<p>4. That is a hard one. I think the 25/4P is very good on the M8. But that is my own subjective opinion. I think the 21/4P is also a good lens (I have the screw mount version). Again this is subjective. The Zeiss 21/4.5 is said to be a brilliant lens. The Zeiss 21/2.8 is brilliant lens too.</p>

<p>5. Ah yes, coding. The common wisdom is that you definately do not need it if you are shooting black and white. If you are shooting color without an IR/UV filter (and are not worried about black clothing becoming magenta). I'll get flamed for this but I'll say it anyway. I do not use coding and do not feel any great need for it. <br>

(I did get a coder kit that was 90% ineffectual in getting recognition from the camera.)</p>

<p>Do use IR/UV filters if you shoot color. You never know when black synthetic fabric will enter you viewfinder.</p>

<p>Hope this helps. </p>

<p>Andrea,<br>

I use the 21/4 on an M7, and find it a fantastic lens; not least because it's so small.<br>

I've not used it on digital, but I gather than on an M9 it won't really work as the rear part of the lens extends into the camera quite a bit and causes color shifts because it's too close to the sensor.<br>

Leo</p>

<p>Both are excellent lenses. At full aperture I see less illumination fall-off with the 21mm compared to the 25mm, but that is with film - on an M8/M9 I do not think that this is an issue. Otherwise the differences are essentially just in the angle of view. I find the 21mm more usable for my style of photography (exclusively film).</p>

<p>I use the ltm version of the CV 21/4, same optics, different barrel and mount (P version is larger). I don't use an external VF, but do have to estimate the edges, about 10% outside what is viewable in the whole of the M8 VF.<br>

No coding. There is no code for CV lenses in M8/M9 cameras.<br>

No IR/UV filter, but I keep one handy in case I plan to shoot speaker grille covers, or extensive black synthetics.<br>

Here are some examples of outdoor daylight use with the 21/4 CV ltm lens on an M8:<br>

http://matsumura.smugmug.com/Photography/M8-CV-214-ltm-lens-photos-in/10941070_oe2nV#764326043_Mi447</p>

<p>Thanks a lot everybody. Now I have som more first hands information to help me decide. Although a 21mm (28mm equiv.) would be a better complement to my Summicron 35 (50 mm equiv.), I lean more towards buying the 25. This is because of the high risk of not feeling at ease with either having to guess the corners or use an external finder...</p>

<p>I use the 24P on my M8. It is a great lens. You won't be disappointed. I purchased another lens mount, to have it coded and to bring up the correct frame lines, difficult to do here in the States, as Gandy, from whom I bought the lens, won't get one for you. I somehow came across a shop via the internet in either New Zealand or Australia, can't remember, and they were kind enough to order the replacement lens mount and ship it to me. They even sent me an exploded parts list for the 24P to make sure they would be ordering the correct part. Other then what Gandy says, the lens mount can be purchased separately. I had it coded by John Milich and the mount changed via a local camera repair. I use the UV/IR Cut filter as well. Sounds like a hassle, but it wasn't. Total cost including lens mount, shipping, and swapping out - $60.</p>

<p>Keith, I guess you mean the 25P (am not aware of any CV 24 mm). You say you bought another lens mount "to have it coded and to bring up the correct frame lines". What framelines did this lens bring up as it came from the factory? Did it not already bring up the 24 / 35 frame lines as they at Cameraquest claim? thanks</p>