Nikon 9000 v Imacon 646

<p>I've been doing a fair bit of research recently on both models, and although there's been a bit said on the topic, I'd really appreciate a few more opinions on both scanners (a massive investment for me!) I need to make a decision in the next 48 hours. Here in Australia, 9000 prices are quite high (A$5K) and availability limited (like in the US at the moment). There's one on hold for a couple of days for me...</p>

<p>I have an opportunity to buy a used 646 at the same price as a new 9000 with Silverfast Ai. 646 has done about 2000 scans - had one service a year ago, but just come up with a 'warning' asking for another. Has all film holders and is said to be in good condition. Warranty is tempting on the 9000 of course, but the 646 seller I am sure is honest and reputable.</p>

<p>I have used the 8000 and the 343 years ago and to be honest, I think for my purposes I'd be happy with either. From memory, the film holders on the Imacon seemed sturdier and easier to use (which is appealing after using the V700 for a while). I will be scanning a mixture of 35mm, 645 and 6x6. </p>

<p>I am reasonably familiar with differences between hardware and software but there are a few questions I have for users of either:</p>

<p>- Does the 120 film holder for the 646 fit three 6x6 negs?<br>

- How expensive, difficult and important is the yearly servicing for the Imacon (I know I will have to find out locally - just interested generally)<br>

- Is one scanner considerably faster?<br>

- Dust issues? I prefer not to use ICE but wondered if one scanner might be better at avoiding sucking in the dust?<br>

- Any major differences in quality? A1 enlargements from medium format (usually A2), and A3 from 35mm would be the biggest I print.</p>

<p>Many thanks - sorry for the heap of questions! :-)</p>

<p>I can't comment on the 343 vs the 9000. I purchased an Imacon FlexPhoto based on comparision scans I made at the local dealer. I believe at the time it was a Nikon 4000. At that time I decisively preferred the Imacon. As for holders, my holder set included one which accepted both a 645 and 6x6 frame. For three 6x6 I use the 618 frame, which I also use for 617 format images.</p>

<p>The one negative aspect to the Imacon is that it does not have Digital Ice as the light source does not emit IR - and the Flexcolor software dust elimination processing is a joke. I've spent hundreds of hours retouching dust from negatives and transparencies on my 646. And, I use a Kinetronic 4x5 inch powered static brush and LOTS of canned air prior to scanning...</p>