Phase One MFDB Capture One query...

al_bowers

<p>I just bought a used Phase One digital back V-fit for my Hasselblad 500cm. I will need the software to work with the IQ RAW format. I contacted Phase One USA and they directed me to my local dealers (they did not seem particularly helpful or pleased to have a new customer). I can buy Capture One LE (I don't know if this is v4 or v5) for $50 (this seems like a pretty decent price).</p>

<p>I should add, I am an amateur. Landscape and nature mostly. I deliberately choose a Phase One over a CFV by the narrowest of margins (both are outstanding tools, IMHO) but I perceive that battery life is longer with Phase DBs than the CFV. And one of my applications are long distance hikes in wilderness areas, so battery life is an issue for me. I have been a Hasselblad owner for well over 30 years.</p>

<p>My questions:</p>

<p>1/ Is it normal to receive a somewhat "abrupt" response from manufacturers/distributors? I grant you, I bought an old back, no longer made, but still I am a new customer. I thought it a bit strange...</p>

<p>2/ I am looking for the highest quality with reasonable effort in digital workflow. I have a deep respect for those willing to go to extraordinary lengths for the highest quality. I am not quite in that class, but high quality is very important to me. Is Capture One the right tool?</p>

<p>Any comments, suggestions, or pointers deeply appreciated.</p>

<p>Al Bowers</p>

<p>Al,<br>

sadly some companies behave towards their customers in direct proportion to the percieved value/worth. Or you may just have come across an individual with a high rudeness quotient. That aside, Capture One...<br>

LE I assume stands for Light Edition or somesuch, and isn't 4 or 5. I haven't found (in a quick Google search) the differences, sorry. If you're not after tethered shooting and just capture to CF card, you might consider the very mainstream (and still affordable) Adobe Lightroom, which happily deals with PhaseOne TIFs. You could download trial versions to compare.<br>

Laurence</p>

<p>Laurence & Greg, thanks for your replies.</p>

<p>Laurence, I have used Adobe PS and elements some before. I am curious how C1 does against my current experiences. It sounds like there may be advantages to having both...</p>

<p>Greg, I am aware that folks keep saying I can get C1 DB for free. But when I talk to Phase One USA, and mention I just bought one of their MFDBs, they say nothing about this to me. I am told to contact one of their dealers. I find this behavior discouraging as a newcomer. It does not give me confidence. I will mention it again to my "local" dealer and see if they finally allow this newcomer to have the free DB software (I will have to take a day off work and travel a couple hundred miles to my nearest dealer for this).</p>

<p>Thanks guys...</p>

<p>Al</p>