View NX a big pain

ian_watt3

<p>I've just downloaded this for the 4th time in the last few years, in the hope that it would finally behave in the way it should. No chance. It crashes freezes and fails to show photos after a while. But what is worse I suspect it is corrupting bridge which now closes or crashes even when its minimised. Is this possible? iMac with CS4.</p>

<p>A lot of people use it every day without such problems. So, it will help if you mention something (anything!) about the computer you're using. You don't say anything about the operating system, hardware, service pack state, the size of the folders you're working with... throw us a bone, here!</p>

<p>Are you a Mac user? Which Mac OS are you using? As it stands now, there is a known incompatibility issue with the current version of ViewNX and Mac OS 10.5. Nikon has fixed the issue in the paid version of the Capture NX software but they have not done anything with the free software yet.</p>

<p>Some times View NX cannot open a photo, then it hangs up the whole PC. Seems it's using all the CPU forever, and I have to press <ctrl><alt><del> to kill the ViewNX process. This happens also when I direct ViewNX to the folder containing the problem file, even if the file is not opened. ViewNX is obviously not able to open or create the thumb nail image. If the folder containing the problem file is the default folder, it's not possible to use ViewNX at all, it hangs before I get the time to redirect ViewNX to another folder, and I have to delete the file from Windows explorer. The problem files are typically photos made by Photoshop Elements v 4.0. I don't know what is wrong, the problem seems to occure quite arbitrary. Window explorer or other programs (PS Elements, DxO) never have any problem opening these files. My computer is a three-year-old HP Amilo portable running Windows XP home edition v5.1, with SP 3. This behavour has been experienced for all the latest View NX version the last three years, my current version is 1.4.0.</p>