Is a flash bracket really "old hat"?

blanston

<p>I agree with Ed Farmer, above. Plus, doesn't one need a flash bracket for Macro shots? I woudn't be without one for that reason alone. I also use mine for the reasons Ed Farmer mentioned, red-eye, better light coverage, etc, during common events like birthdays,etc., unless you want to just simply hold the flash up with your hand and fire it as a slave to your on-camera flash or remote. Certainly you wouldn't want to carry around a separate light pole for every single event yet it is almost always best to get your flash off the hotshoe if possible. That's where a bracket comes in.</p>

<p>I use a camera flip flash bracket for a lot of shooting but, have been using it less since I began using a Joe Demb Flash Difuser Pro ( <a href="http://www.dembflashproducts.com">www.dembflashproducts.com</a> ). In very informal and totally unscientific tests, I have deduced that the improvement from using my 550EX or 420EX flashes with the Flash Diffuser Pro; with and without a bracket is not as great as when using a flash with either other diffusers or with no diffuser.</p>

<p><em>"Too heavy??? So 15.4 ounces for a bracket is "just so darn heavy"......pleeeeease."</em></p>

<p>I agree with this and Nadine's following comment. Going back 20 years I recall lugging around medium format with a big potato masher and battery pack, a bag with a few heavy lenses and film backs. Then I now read where people don't like camera grips (or Pro-model Nikons or Canons) because of too much weight. My mind just flashed back to when my parents would tell me of their 10 mile walk to school in the snow and getting a nickel allowance.</p>

<p>I like my RRS bracket a lot but am also a Stroboframe fan. I always use it for events when I want too do my best work. I skip it for more casual use. I like the results better with the bracket a bit more. It is more cumbersome, but when I want to make sure that I do my absolute best work for an event, I always use it. And I always use it with my big Quantum flash...</p>

<p>Mark,<br>

Thanks for the kudos! The end of the discussion here should revolved around the idea that anyone who says "You always need a bracket." or "You never need a bracket." is wrong. It is interesting that I don't remember reading anyone who said, "Not using a bracket makes for better images." By having a bracket, I always have one available.<br>

Ed</p>

<p>With a rotating bracket like Custom Brackets, you can use your on camera flash any possible way you like, whether you bounce or not. So for me it is THE tool I still use. And my PW is mounted on it too. A little heavier than without but when you're use to shoot with 2 EOS 1 bodies and heavy L lenses it adds little weight to your already heavy gear.</p>

• 2 weeks later...