FM3a with compatible flash?

donaldamacmillan

<p>Hello</p>

<p>Can anyone advise me what might be a particularly appropriate speedlight/flash for use with my FM3a? No need for bulky/powerful, just a good camera-flash balance and appropriate for portaites. I'm not very experienced with dedicated flash-photography, so something simple to use please! </p>

<p>Kind regards,<br>

Donaldo</p>

<p>New or used?</p>

<p>For new, the SB-600 will balance fairly well on the FM3A, and will be quite simple to use in fully automatic TTL mode. Bounce plus swivel capability. No non-TTL auto mode however.</p>

<p>If you go used, there are a multitude of options. A <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/SB22/index.htm">SB-22 or SB-22s</a> works nicely if you want a relatively small and simple "analog" interface for automatic non-TTL or TTL operation, and it has bounce capability. I have also used a <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/SB28/index.htm">SB-28</a> on these cameras. Balance is not too bad (a little bit top heavy), with bounce plus swivel and lots of power. It can be operated as a simple fully automatic TTL flash, or you can get more sophisticated with balanced fill flash, full manual control, etc. The LCD display panel is quite intuitive (at least it was for me).</p>

<p>Lots of choices. The above are only three of many (particularly if you consider non-Nikon units).</p>

<p>If you also use Nikon digital SLRs, I would get the SB-600, which is TTL compatible with both the FM3a as well as all Nikon DSLRs. The discontinued SB-800 is also compatible with all of the above.</p>

<p>If you only shoot film, there are many choices in the used market, as recommended above.</p>