Follow-up Flash question

gk_sullivan

<p>Thanks to all who responded several weeks ago. I'm the guy who needs to take pics in warehouses. Your responses made me realize that I simply can't throw enough photons into a large space like that with only a hot shoe flash.</p>

<p>With that in mind I still need a good flash. I've reduced my search to three flashes and need your opinion. I shoot with a D40x which will do i-ttl. In my job I routinely take pictures of commercial real estate, most of which are exteriors and apartment, retail and office interiors - some of which are large spaces. For example, a vacant retail bay is about 60' deep. Most pictures are taken at DX 18mm to get the widest angle. But I would also like to take better flash pictures of friends and family.</p>

<p>I have narrowed the search to the SB-600 but also the Sunpak PX42x and the Sigma EF530dg (not the super). The Sunpak and Sigma are a little more powerful than the Nikon and will zoom to 105mm versus the Nikon's 85mm. Does this make any difference? Is a zoom to 85mm sufficient? Any other differences that are compelling? Anyone use these Sunpak or Sigma flashes? Any better alternatives in the $150 price range (or less)? I don't mind spending the $50 extra for the SB-600 but really can't afford the SB-800 or 900. </p>

<p>Again, thanks in advance for your help!</p>

<p>Gael</p>

<p>Hi Gael,<br>

I can tell you that one speedlight is not going to be enough to light a space that large, or effectively light any real estate photos of large interior living spaces. You're going to need several lights to do it properly unless you always have alot of natural window light where you don't need to use flash at all. If you can't afford studio lighting at this point, then I would suggest getting the most powerful speedlight you can afford and start saving as soon as you can for a couple more. You should also try to get them off camera if you can and shoot wirelessly, although I don't know if the D40x works in Commander mode like my D80--it may not. Hopefully others can chime in on this.</p>

<p>I don't do any real estate photography, so please take this with a grain of salt. But, some of the more knowledgeable hot-shoe flash shooters say not to light the entire space, but only what you shoot and to light in planes.<br>

Also, when photographing large, non-moving objects, long shutter speeds are a good option (especially when combined with some judiciously placed flash).<br>

I would propose (if you haven't already done so) to read up on hot-shoe flash use of the likes of Joe McNally or Kirk Tuck.</p>