Do you have on opinion on conventional methods of photography?

<p>Hello All<br /> <br /> I am a graphic design student that also enjoys photography. I am in my final year of study and am working on my dissertation titled "Is there a place for conventional methods of photography in the modern world", I can see from looking around the group that collectively you have years experience in photography.<br /> <br /> If any of you have 10 minutes to spare, your opinions would greatly help my studies. The survey is hosted by an online survey service and you simply need to click the link below. I'll understand if you are too busy to contribute on this occasion<br /> <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W3Y2CFR" target="_blank"></a><br>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W3Y2CFR" target="_blank">http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W3Y2CFR</a><br>

If you have anyone else you think may be willing to help, please forward this post to them.<br /> <br /> Happy snapping<br /> <br /> Matt Godfrey<br /> York College<br /> UK</p>

<p>This is the same post, aside from a title change as at (<a href="../casual-conversations-forum/00VkO6?unified_p=1">link</a> ). If you wish our cooperation, Mr. Godfrey, it would be nice if you would follow the rules of this site and not double post.<br>

I'll simply say that I am not very impressed with your survey instrument. I wonder just how this could be part of doctoral-level research. Have you actually run this past any social science faculty or others who are familiar with how to do these things?</p>

<p>Hello JDM,<br>

Yes this is the same I am sorry for double posting, I didn't read the terms and conditions fully I was hoping to get a better response to the survey. I will take the other post down right away.<br>

I am conducting a qualitative research project and outlined in my methodology within the proposal that I would identify a group and interview them at a number of access points (one of which was online forums) relating to photography in order to maximize coverage and increase reliability and validity of the data collected.<br>

I argued that a platform that has been created to enable people to actively share experience and opinions on a specific subject was likely to be a very reliable place to conduct a qualitative research project.<br>

As it turns out, the data I have collated in this method is some of the most interesting. It really is the case that the people that are using this forum really do have an opinion and I thank them for that.</p>

<p>Shawn, please do.<br>

Thanks Photonet, you guys are very helpful.</p>

<p>If you browse, read and make notes on the various threads in this Forum and others in PN then you will obtain all the answers to your questions. Perhaps even better. You could then sift and winnow and develop a quantitative tabulation of the demographics of the subscribers to each view. I think that would provide you richer information than your survey instrument would.<br>

I agree with JDM that your instrument is a bit too simple to elicit any worthwhile information. You may get, at the most, three types of answers, namely, (1) Yes, I use film and will not use Digital, (2) I use film for art work or nostalgia and keeping up with good old technique, but I also use digital for professional work, and (3) I am moving to digital mostly but I do film as I have some old cameras and like slides or B&W. You may get the number of respondents to these. But then what?<br>

It is almost like the Lever soap sales survey people who go around the neighborhoods asking what soaps do you use and why. It may provide the answers for the sales and marketing initiatives; not much more!<br>

This is not meant to put down your effort. But do think about improving the depth and goals of your survey. More importantly, IF you convey the goals clearly to the respondents THEN you will get a better [and more meaningful] response. Surveys are not impersonal though the post-survey rationalizations would like to make them "impersonal" in terms of standardization and normalcy.<br>

My two pennies' worth. regards sp.</p>

<p>Well I looked at the poll earlier and thought it was standard and a bit shallow, so I gave up on it. Sorry.</p>

<p>As an artist, as artists, would we want to be caught telling how many conventional methods of our art we use? Is not our endeavor to seek new ways to see, to interpret, and to show.</p>

<p>I guess the poll has no relevance for me then. Sorry. Just to let you know ... of the bad bias in your set-up ...</p>

<p>I took the survey. Agreed that it's a bit vague, I'm not sure what conclusions could be drawn, because it didn't seem that the "why" of when I choose film vs. digital was considered. But mine is a weird case, because I'll often choose film for panos because I can then do in 1 shot what digital would take 3-4 frames to do.</p>

<p>Although even then it depends on many other factors, too. Such as how big to blow it up? Etc...</p>

<p>I did the poll but I am not sure if you will get enough responses for the poll to be any use. I think you may have been better off posting a question to the forum such as :- Is it worth getting into film photography in this modern digital age or what is it that keeps you shooting film in today. Also remember that this is a Classic Camera forum so to use these cameras one must shoot film.</p>

<p>Hi Les, agreed 100%. I just tend to digital if I'm going to photo-stitch a pano, because it saves me the scanning. If I want just one pano, I'll use either my Widelux or Kodak Panoram.</p>

<p>But sometimes.... attached pic is a 360-degree of Meteor Crater, which is 4 digitally stitched Widelux images, from 35mm film.</p>

<p>Oh, I couldn't view your image full-size. Might be some kind of filter on my end - I'll try again on a different computer.</p>

<p>In the spirit of the survey, I tend to use whatever will work well for what I'm doing. Sometimes "work well" means I can have it quick, such as a local flood pic for local paper. Other times, "work well" means a huge panoramic digital file with great resolution. Still other pano pics I like depend on being candid, and then my Widelux film camera is suddenly the coolest camera I own.</p><div>00VlPp-220293584.jpg.f93d3a63105b3a7653df453e2b58e778.jpg</div>