Best type of indoor overhead lighting.

2dhouse

<p>Hey All,</p>

<p>So my studio is under construction, and it's time for me to select my lighting that I'd like to have installed. Now I'll have plenty of strobes for actual shoots as well as pack and heads etc, so in terms of manipulating light during shoots, I'm all set. Although I do hope to be able to shoot general shots in the studio from time to time and thought people may have some suggestions. I was thinking fluorescent lighting just to have something nice and bright but then with the frequency of it and how annoying it might get to shoot anything under those lights casually it may not be the best choice. Thoughts?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It probably doesn't matter in most situations, but sometimes fluorescents can "glow" when off and if you were working with long exposures, they could be an issue. Back in the early 90's, when people were shooting film and using the light painting "hosemaster" (not sure anyone here will remember that time) I had all of my lights switched over to incandescent in the shooting area because of the glow issue.</p>

<p>With respect to shooting under the lights, not sure it is a big issue. I shot an entire Forbes article at Nike under their fluorescent lights. Some were long exposures, but many were handheld portraits and had no issues. (you might if there was only one fixture in the room!)</p>

<p>If you do get fluorescents, get high-frequency electronic ballasts. You'll avoid both the flicker and the noise that you can sometimes get with standard fluorescents. I think they are also more economical. If you can afford it now, LED office lighting uses the least power, but I have no idea how long it would take to amortize their additional cost.</p>

<p>I come from a family of over 100 years of electricians and can recommend fluorescent fixtures but the big thing is in the lens. You want parabolic lenses. They almost look like egg crates. If you have any questions about lighting, go to an electrical supply NOT! Home Depot or Ace or any of those because most of the time will give you wrong info.</p>