Accessories for 50D

jake_hilleary

<p>I recently upgraded from an xsi to a 50D and have been thrilled! I was just trying to see if there are any

unique accessories that I should look in to. I shoot only as a hobby and don't need high end professional equipment,

just looking for suggestions for some useful add-ons. I currently don't own a flash or battery grip, but I'm not sure

which (if either) would be the most useful to me. I do shoot a lot of indoor family gatherings, so a flash might be nice

for times when I don't have the nifty fifty slapped on. I'd be interested in some alternatives to a speedlite...they're a bit

out of budget for me!</p>

<p>Any suggestions are appreciated, cheers!</p>

<p>If a speedlight is our of range at the time a 50 mm f1.4 would be great I have one and It's remarkable, if that still out of line then the 50 mm f1.8 might do the trick (I never used one) I understand for the money is great but yet again the build quility matches the price of the lens.<br>

I don't know wha lens you might have at this time but I would save some $ for a speedlight you might find a good deal on a second hand. Even a 430EX would do miracles compared to the built in, in the future you might venture to get a 580EXII and you can use the other one a a remote flash.<br>

A cable release and a tripod are also good accessories if you don't have them yet good. The grip is nice but I'd put that on the back of the list based on other items you might find more useful at first.</p>

<p>If a speedlight is our of range at the time a 50 mm f1.4 would be great I have one and It's remarkable, if that still out of line then the 50 mm f1.8 might do the trick (I never used one) I understand for the money is great but yet again the build quility matches the price of the lens.<br>

I don't know wha lens you might have at this time but I would save some $ for a speedlight you might find a good deal on a second hand. Even a 430EX would do miracles compared to the built in, in the future you might venture to get a 580EXII and you can use the other one a a remote flash.<br>

A cable release and a tripod are also good accessories if you don't have them yet good. The grip is nice but I'd put that on the back of the list based on other items you might find more useful at first.</p>

<p>A flask of Jack Daniels and iPod will help you weather the long hours waiting for good light. A steady tripod will greatly improve your composition and sharpness, especially if you drink the entire flask.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>A flask of Jack Daniels and iPod will help you weather the long hours waiting for good light. A steady tripod will greatly improve your composition and sharpness, especially if you drink the entire flask.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh, geez PF, you crack me up!</p>

<p>Jake, the 270EX flash is not too pricey. And it's certainly better than the pop up flash on the 50D. The head roatates vertically so you can bounce flash. It's small and light, easy to use.</p>

<p>For what like to do and where I do it <strong><em>The Pod</em></strong> ($15) is my most valuable accessory.<br>

I'm using a long lens to photograph birds. The place has railings along a boardwalk. So, The Pod <strong><em>attached</em></strong> to the bottom of my gear and resting on the railing gives me great stability without a tripod. <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/326794-REG/POD_TP_Y0031_B_The_Pod_Camera_Platform.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/326794-REG/POD_TP_Y0031_B_The_Pod_Camera_Platform.html</a></p>

<p>Congratulations on the 50D. It is a great camera.</p>

<p>A good rule of thumb is: if you don't know you need it, you probably don't. Wait until you see what you can't do, or can't do easily or well, because you lack a piece of equipment.</p>

<p>For most people not doing events, I think a battery grip is a waste on a camera like yours. I carry an extra battery just in case--a lot cheaper and lighter--but the honest answer is that I have never had to use it. I just recharge at night.</p>

<p>If you like taking pictures of indoor family gatherings, I would save for a speedlite that can do bounce. There really is no substitute for more light.Yes, fast glass is nice, but you already have the nifty 50, so even the $1400 50 f/1.2 is only one extra stop, and to get that speed, you have to shoot wide open, which is not good when your family members are not lined up on a plane.<br>

The 430EX and EXII are very nice, and you might be able to find one used. You should plan on buying a diffuser, such as the stofen omni-bounce, which is only $15 or so. An adjustable bounce card, like the Demb Flip-It (about $30) is also extremely useful.</p>

<p>I'm a real amateur with flash, but just to give you an idea, here are three shots I took with a 50D, a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, a 430, and either a stofen, the flip-it, or both (all bounced in one way or another):<br>

http://dkoretz.smugmug.com/Other/Some-nice-people/second-BW-1989/750060827_yYXPa-X2.jpg<br>

http://dkoretz.smugmug.com/Other/Some-nice-people/MG2254/745587891_chszC-X2.jpg</p>

<p>I have to agree with what most people are saying here an off camera flash is a must have for any dslr. Save your pennies and pick up a 430exii you will not be disappointed. Then start with your lenses a 50mm on the 50d is the best portrait lens out there. I have used the 1.4 and 1.2l and there is little difference between them on an APS-C. <br>

A Battery grip is one of those things that after you get used to shooting with one you can't be without it. Most people don't shoot vertical but I always say the best time to shoot vertical is right after you shot a horizontal. <br>

After that is nice RAW editing software and even though DPP does work extremely well I suggest lightroom it's very helpful for organization and I can't honestly live without it. </p>

<p>Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I have to agree that a flash would probably be most useful. Unfortunately the 430ex is out of my range right now (I'm a college student and my tax return only gave me enough for the 50D and 70-200 f/4L). I could either save for a bit or get a 270ex immediately. I know that most would suggest saving for the 430ex, but I shoot primarily outdoors with a tripod, and I would only be using the flash for family gatherings. But, if the 430 is <em>that</em> much better, I might just have to do it. I know most of these are out of budget as well, but is there a decent wide to "normal" fast prime for an APS-C? The 50mm 1.8 is great for portraits, but not for squeezing in a group shot.</p>

<p>How about a good bag? I find having the right bag makes taking my gear out more enjoyable.<br>

<br /> As to flash, if your only going to have 1 flash by all means get a 430 or 580. I have a 270 and its primary purpose is when I travel and I want to go light. I would never use that as a primary flash unit, its just to limited. The autofocus assist on the 430/580 alone make it worthwhile and since you have a 50D at least you have a pop up, if my 5d2 had a pop up I would not bother with a 270.</p>

<p>I have never used a 270, but from the specs, I would not want one for people photos. It keeps the flash very close to the lens (which is one of the problems with the pop-up). It looks like you would have to take off any diffuser or bounce card to fold it down. You might check--given the shape, you might not be able to get something like a sto-fen to fit. I agree about autofocus assist. The 430EXII replaced the predecessor (430EX) not all that long ago, and you may be able to find the non-II version cheaper than the new version used, if you go that route.</p>

<p>I wouldn't get a 270ex for a couple reasons. The main ones being that you can't use it as a slave flash nor does it have a PC port for manual remote firing so once you do upgrade to another flash down the road it will sit on a shelf and collect dust. That and couple the fact that it can't swivel it's head to bounce off walls or in vertical position it's really just a minor upgrade to the on camera flash. <br>

Since you said you will be doing outdoors a good tripod and ball head are a add to the list. Since you are still in college I wouldn't worry about going light weight and just go bang for your buck. <br>

As far as cheap primes for indoors you are sort of out of luck there. For some reason Canon has not updated any primes but their L's in quiet some time. I have shot a few L primes and only the 50mm non L so I can't really speak to the 24mm or the 20mm on a digital. </p>

<p>I have an older 420 ex flash. B&H has a used one for $130. I would recommend that if your budget is tight. Less cost than a new 270 and the feature set while less capable than a 430, is still good enough for me (bounce, decent light output for close indoor shots, etc.). <br>

Later if you get a 580 flash, you can use the 420 as a slave for multiple flash setup (I think so?)<br>

I also use a 28 mm F1.8 canon for indoor group shots, and find the flash/fast "normal" prime combo works well for me. If the 28 is too much money, take a look at the 35 f2.0. There are people on this site who have had good things to say about that also and it costs less than a 28 1.8.</p>