Leitz Repair Service

oe_james

<p>This is not a question but rather a report that I hope will be useful.<br>

My Leitz Binoculars are 57 years old. They have received heavy use at sea and ashore ,and were generally neglected. Finally repair became a necessity. Not many businesses could be found that offered Leitz service and some of these declined to service binoculars of this age. I finally found Gus Lazzari at TLC Camera Repair, <a href="mailto:gus.lazzari@inrenewal.com">gus.lazzari@inrenewal.com</a>. He answered my questions, delivered price quotes, kept me informed, and provided prompt service and delivery, but best of all he did a great job and he did more that promised for less than quoted. I suggest that anyone needing repairs seriously consider refering them to Gus or at least contacting him for information.<br>

Joe James</p>

<p>They are Wetzlar Binuxit 8x30 which was a great size for working over a navigation table and seemed to me to perform as well, or better than, the Navy 7x50s. I think that they have anti-reflective coated and that it is still in good shape. One thing I was careful about was to keep the lenses clean and to not abuse their surface.<br>

My real/basic problem was that the central focus was frozen stiff!! When they won't focus it is hard to tell what ever problems you may have although there were lots of dings. Gus found that the lubrication had frozen the focus and had caused some corrosion (He gave me a discount because he could not repair this corrosion and some oxidation on the prism that he could not remove.)He was to perform "a complete disassembly, solvent washing, and then re-lubrication with the latest in synthetic products. After this, a careful re-collimation will occur to achieve brilliant and accurate alignment."<br>

Gus quoted $175 to restore them to original function. He discounted that to $140 for the reasons above. As far as I can see they do perform as they originally did, they operate smoothly and are as clear as a bell with that remarkable 3D look. Gus also removed some of the binoculars dings and scratches as well as oiing and cleaning the case.<br>

My impression is that Gus is a guy who prizes good things and his craft and wants to do right by them. I was very pleased with every aspect of working with him. I have spent a lot of my life supervising maintenance technicians and am not very happy with many of those practicing that task today. Gus seems to be of the old school.</p>

<p>Great info Oe James , those older Porro binoculars are sure worth using I thought yours where the 7x50 mostly used at sea.<br>

I used my 7x50 Marseptit a number of years sailing our coast right up to PNG. Like your Binuxit mine could do with a service , I have a late 10x42 Trinovid as well but those old porro ones if in good order have real relaxing view its just right. Glad your,s are back in order , I will inquire with Gus the price is well worth it.</p>