Entry Level Strobes for dance

bluphoto

<p>So I've been using my Elinchrom D-Lite 4 set for the last few years and it has served me well.</p>

<p>Now it's time to take my studio work to the next level and invest in a semi-decent set of lighting equipment.<br />I have a few softboxes and modifiers for my Elinchrom setup so it would probably make sense to stay with that manufacturer, but I need a couple of higher power-shorter duration heads.<br>

<br />Remembering that this is just a hobby, I want to start shooting dance in the studio. Specifically dancers "in flight" - along the same lines as Lois Greenfields airborne series. As such, short duration is priority - at least 1/1000 (would that be the t-0.1 time?)<br>

<br />I'm no expert, but I think the lower power flash heads have shorter durations, and the flash I need will likely have two lower power flash tubes combined into a single head (maybe?).<br>

<br />I have access to the appropriate space - extra height and width for shooting dance, but obviously my d-lites wouldn't be up to the job.</p>

<p>Not sure of the distances involved, but I want to light a full body at full stretch (say a 12' x 12' area of background)<br>

<br />Any help would be much appreciated, though I'd appreciate it if you didn't go suggesting top of the range equipment that's going to cost me thousands of pounds!</p>

<p>Guy</p>

<p>Why not try some real world experiments and see what you can achieve? Remember that as you increase shutter speed when shooting with studio strobes, the shutter speed becomes less and less relevant, and it is the flash duration that creates the shot's exposure. When the shutter speed is decreased, your result will reproduce "shutter drag" and expose the background or other objects using available light. In a studio where the strobes provide the only light, with even your modelling lamps off, you won't have a drag exposure to worry about.</p>

<p>Have a look at the ELinchrom BXRi. The flash duration is 1/1558 for the 500ws heads, and 1/2762 for the 250ws heads. Additionally, the BXRi series has integrated Skyport receivers, allowing you wireless control of the flash power and triggering.<br>

On the higher end, the Style RX series certainly won't disappoint. The flash durations are 1/2850, 1/2050 and 1/1450 for the 300, 600 and 1200ws heads. I normally use these heads, and have been very pleased with their performance. The RX heads can accept optional Skyport receivers (optional), giving you wireless control.</p>

<p>Thanks for those suggestions, guys.<br />I'll definitely look into the RX heads, and perhaps even the BXRi's.<br />It's just that I want to "freeze" the motion, and with dancers swirling cloth around them while being mid leap from a run, I can see the danceers hands doing 30mph easy.<br />30mph = 13500mm/second, so 1/1500 sec = 10mm (near enough), meaning hands would be visibly blurred.<br />Of course, this assumes that the light switches OFF after 1/1500 sec, which is only true (to all intents and purposes) if these are the t=0.1 times. If these are t=0.5 times then that would mean I'd see a blur of well over an inch in any fast moving body parts etc, and over half an inch in all body parts doing more than 10-15mph, which with dancers is pretty much everything!<br />I'll certainly compare these lights to the flash durations of my D-Lites.<br>

Of course, the blurred bits would all be illuminated far less than the "snapshot" taken at peak illumination. say double the duration at one stop down, and triple the duration at two stops down, so maybe the effect wouldn't be as obvious as I think it might.<br>

As you guys say, gonna have to do some experimenting!<br>

Many thanks<br />Guy</p>

<p>The new Bowens "Pro" line has very fast flash 1/2900 sec in a monolight unit, which should give you pack and head style exposures in a monolight package, at a reasonable price too.</p>

<p>http://bowensusa.com/content/pages/gemini500pro.html</p>

<p>The new Bowens line even has PocketWizard plug-in modules available, and an IR remote control system, which are all quite slick.</p>