Contax g2 28mm lens will not click into the mount

jdoran

<p>Hello, as of yesterday my Contax g2 28mm lens will not click into the mount. I rotate the lens but it does not couple with the rangefinder and no "click" occurs as it should. My 90mm lens still works with my g2 and everything seems to function with that lens. The 28mm was mounted properly just one week ago and as far as I know nothing has happened to the lens since removing it. Can anyone make sense of this? Thanks, JD <br>

PS. I cleaned the contacts on the lens but still no luck.</p>

<p>Justin,<br>

A word of caution. When you attach or detach the lens make sure you rotate the second ring and not the black ring nearest the camera body. Doing so may damage the lens contacts. Does the lens still have nine golden contacts? If the lens is mounted incorrectly some of the contacts may break off and the lens will not operate. I initially made the mistake of trying to rotate the black ring but was fortunate not to damage the lens. When I tried to mount the lenses in the incorrect way the lenses wouldn't click into place like you are describing.<br>

Best, Chris</p>

<p>Nope, I have all 9 gold contacts and changing the f-stop does not work. I will mention this though, a while back I had my 28mm lens "fixed" while traveling in Mexico. My g2 just died on me one day and I took it to some camera guru that all the camera dealers kept directing me to. He seemed to know his stuff pretty well but its hard to say since my Spanish sucked back then and I could only get the gist of what he was telling me. In the end I left the camera and lens and when I got it back the camera worked but the aperture ring was modified. It no longer had the clicks designating the f-stops, just a smooth rotation much like a focusing ring. This has worked for me since then ( about a year and a half) but Mr. Van der Graaf's comment got me thinking and I started to analyze the lens as I mounted it. Turns out it is mounting a bit differently then my 90mm. On the telephoto, when I rotate the lens into the camera the aperture ring is stationary, however the aperture ring on the 28mm rotates along with the rest of the barrel as I mount it. I'm guessing my 28's modification might have something to do with this. I'm going to check with the closest camera repair shop and see what he says. Sorry for not including the above anecdote, I just figured the event was far too long ago to be connected but perhaps I am wrong. we will see.</p>

• 12 years later...