M7 Weird Metering Problem Solved (Maybe)

Alex_Es

<p>I wrote about my M7 giving weird ISO readings and shutter speeds in Auto some months ago here: http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00UlXb . In Tokyo I took my M7 to Leica and had them look at it. They found nothing wrong. They said that if I wanted to replace the ISO dial it woiud coast me 50,000 yen. I decided against it. More on principle than financial concern. It is a common problem with M7, making on par with Toyota's gas pedal issue. Why should I pay anything to fix a design flaw?</p>

<p>I think I have found at least a partial solution to the M7's occasional quirky meter readings.</p>

<p>In nearly all cases the problem happens when I turn the camera on. What I do now is put the M7 on manual (1/1000) before turning it on. I goes to the correct ISO and gives the proper speed when I switch it back to Auto.</p>

<p>Using this method the M7 has yet to flash ASA, the wrong ISO or a weird slow shutter speed. </p>

<p>I'll be shooting with the M7 a lot in the ensuing weeks and will keep you posted.</p>

<p>Alex,</p>

<p>I've read a few posts describing similar problems. I've also had the same issue on my M7. What I've read is that Leica will swap out the DX-sensing contacts for optical ones. I can't remember where I read it but maybe you've heard about it as well ...? Anyway, my method to avoid the issue is hard-setting the ISO on the dial on the back -- annoying but it gets around the problem.</p>

<p>Yikes! Just used my method and got ASA and weird readings. This after I made a slight correction with ISO dial. I jiggled the dial and all is well again. For now. I'll experiment over the next few weeks by starting up on manual and automatic. So far the 100% solution is dial jiggling.</p>

<p>What Carl mentions is probably what Leica wanted 50.000 yen for.</p>

<p>Footnote. I've seen a lot of used M7s for sale in the camera stores in Osaka. Wonder if the reason for that is the problem we've been discussing.</p>