Need a compact medium format camera

asimrazakhan

<p>I'm looking for a very compact medium format camera. The idea I have is to use 120 film that will eventually be cropped to 4x4cm square slides. These will be mounted on super-slide mounts for viewing on my 35mm projector.</p>

<p>I already have a very nice 35mm film system for my travels and just wanted to add one compact medium format body to my bag to be able to shoot super-slides.</p>

<p>I've asked a similar question before and gotten some very nice answers. But this time I'm thinking that I should try to get a compact 645 or 6x6 camera so I don't have to cut away and waste too much film... as would be the case with a 6x7 or 6x9 being cropped to 4x4.</p>

<p>I'm okay with a camera that has one fixed lens. But the idea of being able to switch lenses is obviously more appealing. </p>

<p>I am considering the Mamiya 6 because when the lens and body are retracted, it really is slim and easily packable. But I wanted to post this question in case I'm overlooking some other good options.</p>

<p>I did a little research and found that the Mamiya 6 (when retracted) is more compact than a Fuji GA645, a Mamiya 7, and a Bronica RF645. Are there any 645 or 6x6 folders out there that are readily available, easy to use, and give results as good as the Mamiya 6? </p>

<p>Keep in mind that by cropping to 4x4, I would be using the sweet spot of the lens. Also, the perspective on any 120 format lens would become more tele with the 4x4 crop.</p>

<p >I must be getting old - I had never heard the term "super slides" and had to Google it. It's a 2x2 mount for a 46mm piece of film vs a 35mm piece of film, right? They used to make 2x2 mounts for 110 film too.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I thought you were talking about 6x6 mounts for "medium format" slides. My dad used a Rollei P66S MF projector and they really did blow us away with the quality. HD video has a long way to go to match the resolution that MF film captures. With different trays, the P66 can handle 35mm, 4.5 x 6, 6 x 6, and others. ...can't remember if it handles 6x7.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Wouldn't something like that save you a lot of work?</p>

<p>I don't know what you need in terms of features, speed etc .... for compactness a Super Ikonta A <a href=" super ikonta A and baby ikonta would be very hard to beat.</p>

<p>There is also at least one emulsion of slide film available in 127, and there are some nice 4x4 cameras out there. I think the slickest of these is the Komaflex SLR: <a href=" komaflex and lenses

<p>Echoing the above, there appears to be plenty of 127 diapositive film available: <a href="http://tinyurl.com/yzbkzmf">http://tinyurl.com/yzbkzmf</a>.<br>

Also echoing the above, there are some really nice 4x4 Rolleiflexes available at reasonable prices. There is also the Yashica 44 which is cheaper than the Baby Rolleiflex and the Minolta Miniflex which is way more expensive for some odd reason. (Probably collectors.)<br>

There were also a few 4x4 scale focus cameras made in the 30's and 50's. However the 4x4 TLRs dominated the 4x4 quality camera format. They are wonderfully compact cameras with great lenses. Especially the Rolleiflex is excellent and should not be too difficult to have maintained either. As I recall they were often sold with a metal hardshell case too. The camera is so small and light that it makes a modern DSLR look positively huge.<br>

- Børre</p>

<p>I haven't heard anyone use the term "superslides" for years. If you get a 6x6 camera you're going to throw away 50% of your film anyway. Given that the quallity of MF is driven by film size and not by inherent lens quality, are you sure that this is what you want to do? Are you convinced that you'll still be able to get 4x4 slide mounts and (if you go that route 127 film) in a few year's time? Are you sure you want to let your projector drive your photography. </p>

<p>If you walk this road I'd suggest you stick to a relatively modern 6x6 or 6x7 camera with interchangeable lenses (I might argue that with a permanent "crop" a wide angle alternatibve might be more than useful ) and great lens quality. Then if you do get frustrated with the idea of throwing away half your image, or the 4x4 thing dies, you have somewhere to go. So long as you can deal with a rangefinder, the Mamiya 7 would be ( and is) my choice</p>

<p>thank you everyone for the answers. <br>

i actually want this compact medium format camera for the superslides as well as regular 120 format film that isn't cropped.</p>

<p>i've realized that a mamiya 6 will produce amazing sharpness and color that should be quite on par with 35mm prime lenses.</p>

<p>what i have to test first is if there is going to be a huge amount of vignetting with a 4x4 slide in a 35mm projector.</p>

• 2 weeks later...