d80 vs d300s for tanzania safari

jacobreiskin

<p>I am going on a safari in Tanzania and i have a nikon d80 but i am wondering if not having weather sealing will be a problem and its also an old camera with old tecnology. I was looking at the d300s and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade or if another camera would be better.</p>

<p>What lens(es) will you be using?<br /><br />The D300 is certainly more physically robust and weather tolerant than the D80. It's also got the benefit of a much more agile autofocus system. But all of that may be completely secondary to your lens situation.</p>

<p>What Luis G. says. And if you can afford it, get the 80-400mm. I got one for exactly the same type of trip. Shooting in relatively light conditions it is terrific. I read all the stuff about slow focus and what not, but in practice--unless you have $10,000 to spend and the will to carry an f/2.8 400mm+ monster, the 80-400mm is an excellent choice. Very solid feeling and with the crop factor you end up with a nice telephoto for wild life. The 18-200mm will be very frustrating for shooting wild life since most of it will be of a distance that will be beyond 200mm ability to frame it well. My one criticism of the 80-400mm is that I wish it were a push/pull type zoom because it can be awkward turning the zoom ring given the size of the lens and how you have to balance and hold it. Still, on my D300 (with my D80 in reserve) it was a great paring recently in Africa and in the past in Alaska. </p><div>00Vhvw-218201584.jpg.094307aa8c5948d5bedbffe2793789e1.jpg</div>

<p>As a Canon shooter, I can't advise on which camera to buy. I would advise you to bring 2 cameras though, having a back-up is usefull and you could have both fitted with the most used lens, which will prevent you from lens-swapping, which is not advisable in Africa as it can be dusty. The 80-400 will be sufficient for most shooting, but bear in mind that in most of Tanzania you're not allowed off road, at least not in the National Parks. So think about renting a 500f4 lens. Your longest lens will always be too short. I always take my 500f4 and would never go on a safari without it. Enjoy.</p>

<p>Two bodies. Don't worry too much about what kind, but if you need to buy a 2nd body, you may as well upgrade a tiny bit if you can afford it. I did a Safari in Botswana with a Canon 40D and Rebel xti--both were fine. I kept the cameras in a pillowcase on my lap while in the jeep. Really helps keep the dust and muck out, and easy to pull out at a moment's notice for a shot. Try to avoid changing lenses much... you'll probably keep the telephoto on nearly all the time. If you do change lenses out and about, do so inside the pillowcase. When looking for the second body, obviously make sure your lenses are compatible, but also check out battery style. In my case, it's a slight pain that I have 2 different chargers and sets of backup batteries for the 2 bodies.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I definately recommend taking 2 camera bodies. For Africa, I keep my 300mm f/2.8 on one body and a 28-70mm f/2.8 on the other. Taking 2 bodies solves a couple of possible problems. The most obvious is that if one camera gets damaged, you'll still have one you can shoot with. The second benefit is that no matter what comes around the bend, you'll be ready for it. If a lion is right next to the safari jeep, my 300mm won't be of any use. If a cheetah is chasing down an impala, the 28-70mm won't be powerful enough. With both lenses, I'm prepared for whatever comes along.<br>

As far as dust prevention goes, I use a "Storm Jacket" on both cameras at all times. <a href="http://www.stormjacket.com/SJ1.html">http://www.stormjacket.com/SJ1.html</a><br>

Julie Roggow<br>

See my website for photos from Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa (and around the world).</p>

<p>Hi Jacob,<br>

I went on a safari in Kenya last September...with my D300 and I am so glad I brought it. Two reasons: one was for the weather-seal and rugged body, and perhaps more importantly, the ability to clean the sensor. (My D70 didn't have that feature and I don't know if your D80 does) I wasn't as familiar with the D300 as I should've been (I bought it 4 months before my trip) and didn't take advantage of that feature. I now have more than 1,300 images...all with a little smudge in exactly the same spot! When one changes lenses frequently the ever-present dust will inevitably appear. Fortunately the cleaner took care of it when I discovered it and most of the images don't show the smudge (and thank goodness for Photoshop). <br>

I definitely agree with the other advice presented here about the back-up body. <br>

p</p>

<p>FWIW, 400mm with a 1.5x Nikon crop factor was "enough," but I was at the long end frequently. Examples of the need for the 400mm (equivalent of 600mm with the crop factor) are the above photos I posted which are minimally cropped at most best I can recall. I would not be happy traveling 6500 miles for a safari with only a 300mm lens. You cannot easily "move your feet" to adjust composition as you can in most other places. You are glued in the truck for safety reasons and the truck can only get so close. Many animals take off if the truck approaches so it isn't just a safety issue. I would strongly encourage you to have at least a reach of 400mm.</p>

<p>We are leaving on a 19 day safari to Kenya and Tanzania in October. I am taking three cameras, two D200s, one fitted with the Nikon 18-105 f 3.5-5.6 VR and the other with a Nikon 70-300 f 4.5-5.6 VR. My third camera is a Nikon P90, which I carry when in a boat or really bad weather. I have plastic weather covers for all my cameras, as well as a weatherproof case. The lens will never be off a body, and for that reason am not taking my macro lens with me.<br>

Both the VR lenses are 67 mm so one set of filters is sufficient, although I do have double polarizers and FL-Ws. I have 25 CF cards, ranging from 4 to 16 gb, and a netbook with a 250gb hard drive. My plan is to shoot and back up and keep the cards until I get home. That way, I have doubles of every photo.<br>

As I said, I am not taking the macro and will not be taking the 400mm. Too big, too heavy and based upon my discussion with my friend's father, who is leading the safari, we are going to be using the wide angle more than the telephoto. As he says, we are going to be "up close and personal" with the wildlife.<br>

We have 22 members of our photography club going and have been working on this trip for more than 6 months. I feel like I know the country like my own neighborhood.<br>

I am now looking for the right tripod to take along. I am leaning towards the Adorama Flashpoint carbon fiber #F-1228. While they will have bean bags for us to use, I feel naked without a tripod. My old Lleitz Tiltall would be great if it didn't weight as much as all my other equipment combined. Anyone with a suggestion about the F-1228, would love to hear it.</p>