Upgrade d70s or lenses

paul_tine1

<p>I know that upgrades a a fairly common question, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I have a d70s with the original 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm 1.8, and recently added a 55-200mmVR along with a SB-600 flash. I actively use the camera for "general purposes" (kids sports, vacation, family, etc.) but would like to "step up" in equipment. While I'm pleased with the camera's picture quality, I question whether to build lenses around a somewhat dated product. On the lens side, I would be looking for a replacement for the 18-5mm which came with the camera. I'm not looking for either wider or longer focal lenghts than what I presently have. Would I be better off allocating dollars to a newer camera body (d90?) or a better everyday lens (16-85mm VR?). Ideally I would replace both, but there are funds considerations. My max budget is around $600. Other options are less expensive upgrades (D50/18-55mm VR) or "do nothing" as the incremental improvement in equipment may not be justified. Any direction provided is appreciated...</p>

<p>Paul </p>

<p>IMHO you should have a better reason to upgrade. Maybe you need a faster zoom, then get one of the 17-55mm f2.8 zooms or a fast prime like the Sigma 30mm f1.4. You like your range so I don't know what you would gain from the 16-85mm except for range. If you need faster AF, better controls, print larger than 8x10 or want a larger view finder than a body upgrade would be in order. My old D70 is still making good images with its 18-70mm kit lens. Granted they are in someone else's hands now but the combo still delivers. You should buy a tool when you can not do the job. Sometimes I should also listen to my own advice :~) NAS<br>

What do you want to do that you can't.</p>

<p>Upgrading the 18-55 to an 18-70 or 16-85 would net you faster autofocus. The 18-55 VR has faster autofocus as well, but the two aforementioned lenses have certain gains over the 18-55. The 18-70 has more reach and a slightly faster max aperture (but no VR); the 16-85 has more reach and goes wider (and has VR).<br>

Upgrading the 55-200 to the 70-300 VR would gain you faster autofocus and focal length.<br>

The D70s is a fine camera, although the D90 is a step up in many ways. Unless you need extra pixels, however, you will probably be fine with the D70s for quite some time.<br>

My advice? If you don't have real issues with your current equipment, spend the $600 on a road trip and get some photos out of that.</p>

<p>$600 is not enough for a d90, which is the least-expensive upgrade you should consider to maintain full functionality, i.e. focus motor in camera, two control wheels, etc..</p>

<p>i'm not sure upgrading to another slow variable aperture lens is a good move. if you can do everything you want to do with your current setup, there's no need to upgrade at all.</p>

<p>a lens which allows you to do something you cant do with your current lenses could be a better use of $$. maybe an ultrawide or a macro lens? or maybe another fast prime like the 35/1.8 or 85/1.8? that would be my suggestion.</p>

<p>I'm with Fernando on this one.</p>

<p>Imo it would be a good idea to upgrade your camera, but unfortunately that's quite expensive. Buying a 3d party lens like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is less expensive (so you can start saving up for a better camera in the future) and will be a more 'future-proof' investment than a not-quite-as-ghood-as-you-would-like upgrade like a secondhand D80.</p>

<p>Having a constant f/2.8 aperture zoom lense was a big eye opener for me.</p>

<p>Good luck choosing.</p>

<p>Paul, don't worry about the equipment. Make images and then ask yourself if the result is what you had in mind. If it's not, post an image here and people will help you figure out if it's your knowledge, technique or your equipment that is lacking. More often than not it has nothing to do with the equipment but sometimes it is.</p>

<p>On the other hand there are people that will get stuff because they like to own it, not because they really need it. If you are one of them you should absolutely upgrade to whatever your budget allows. And often dare I say it's the camera body that get upgraded first.</p>

<p>Paul, correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impresion that you have no particular reason to upgrade. If you are generally happy with the results you are getting from your current equipment, you might as well continue to use it until it starts limiting your results.</p>

<p>I think the logical progression for most folks is:</p>

<ol>

<li>Buy a low-end camera with kit lens (18-55mm)</li>

<li>Add a low-end lens that reaches 200mm or 300mm (i.e., 55-200mm)</li>

<li>Add an affordable high-quality prime (50mm f/1.8)</li>

<li>Realize that your low-end zooms don't measure up to the prime you just bought</li>

<li>Either add more primes</li>

<li>Or add good f/2.8 high-quality zooms</li>

<li>Buy a higher end body</li>

<li>Add specialized lenses for your type of photography (macro, super wide-angle, fisheye, super-telephoto...)</li>

<li>Add a good flash and/or lighting gear</li>

<li>Add a tripod</li>

</ol>

<p>+1 for M. Hayward pt 4. 5. and 6.<br>

I guess you experienced the diffenence the 50/1.8 made compared to the 18-55.<br>

Buy a 2.8 (ultra)wide to standard zoom or a good (medium)wide prime<br>

If upgrading a body: make it a big step that will last you for the next 5 years (if I ever going to upgrade my D70 it will be for a D700)</p>

<p>I appreciate all of who have taken the time to express their opinions and recommendations. Among several points that (I hope) I've learned is that it's OK to work with the D70s body despite its age. (No one suggested a third party sale.) When it is time for replacement, I'll keep in mind the advice of not making only a minor upgrade. The majority of recommendations appear to be toward investing in a high quality zoom or prime lense, and I have a fair amount of researching to do on that front. I will also alter my thought process as it relates to viewing my pictures as recommended by Peter S. Also, the "road trip" suggestion has it merits. Thanks again to all...</p>

<p>There are two reasons to upgrade. One is that you have a specific need. The other is that you just want a new camera or lens. I'm not sure that you have a specific need. If you just want a new camera or lens that's OK. Getting new gear is fun and it often inspires us to try new things.</p>