nature, but as I will be traveling with my wife I won't be doing any

heavy duty animal photography (I'm leaving macro gear and anything

over 300mm at home). Flights to Alaska are out, but almost anywhere

else is possible: Yosemite, Yellowstone, Olympia, Mt. Ranier, Grand

Canyon, Banff, Canyonlands, etc. We are flexible enough to be able

to travel whenever is good for photography and have a week or so to

spend. So whaddyathink?

Karl Fiegenschuh

I'd suggest San Francisco. The Bay Area is packed with landscape potential. From Marin County in the north you could even go all the way down to Santa Cruz or Monterey in the south. Plus, SFO, proper, is pretty darned gorgeous.

On top of your photographic stuff, you'd also have a groovy place for activities, dining, culture, etc.

...Maybe someone with more intimate knowledge of the area will speak up?

Either way, enjoy the trip!

-G

I would go for whatever is seasonally hot. For example, fall color with the aspens in the Grand Tetons, or perhaps the first of the winter storms along the Oregon-Washington coastline that should be kicking up before long. Yellowstone is perhaps suitable because the large mammals are large enough and tame enough to photograph as part of the landscape, but this area can get surprisingly cold in the fall.

I'm sorry but all you're going to get here is a list of alternatives which reflect other people's preferences, and they'd all probably make great trips. Now if you told us what you'd most like to photograph; eg red rocks; deserts; fall foliage; snowy mountains; lakes; coastlines; pastoral valleys; wildflowers etc and whether you like to walk or prefer to operate near a car, then you might get more useful help in where you can find your preferences and, importantly, when it would be best to go.

Your question is nearly impossible to answer. This is a huge, varietal country, and the west is sprawling. The places you mentioned are excellent, and you can easily spend a week in each. And, as pointed out, the time of year is important as well. I've been to nearly every state and national park in the 11 western states, both camping and shooting, from the Dakotas to the highways of Arizona, to the Mojave Desert, to Death Valley, to Yosemite, to Lassen, to The Sequoias and Giant Redwoods, to The Columbia river Gorge, to the Cascades (where I live now), to Yellowstone, to Big Sur, to you name it. It's a moveable feast, and impossible to do justice. I'm just a few hours drive from Crater Lake, and it knocks my socks off every time I visit it. Read all the brochures, throw them all up to the ceiling, and which ever ones stick there.....VISIT!!! *~*

Dude,

dont sweat the airtravel.Your gonna have to have a car to get around to all these areas not a plane.Airports are nowhere near these places so your gonna have to rent a car.Thats gonna add up in deniros.I would just drive out west since you're only a 2 day drive from it.

I would save the airmiles for some overseas travel or Hawaii.

My vote goes to Yellowstone (and Grand Tetons) NP. A week or more is just fine and barely enough to explore the great potential of this soooo diverse park. Personally, I could spend months there; AND bring that 300mm of yours and leave the wife at home ... ;^)

The Tetons are within the "neighborhood" and good for some splendid scenery images...

i am from california and travel on business through the midwest. i would fly to san francisco and then drive to yosemite. it is a several hour drive but the city and the park are very different from the midwestand would be quite enjoyable. i would allow at least 10 days, but two weeks are better. a side trip down to carmel would also make for a great photo trip. any time when school is in session works well as the areas are less crowded. yosemite works best in the spring time when the rivers and waterfalls are running full. we really do not have much in the way of fall colors.

I looked and thought about your question a little differently. (#1, I don't agree to forget flying, the 2 day driving trip is really 4 days round trip, and that is more than half your week!) Having lived in the west for several decades and traveled it extensively, I thought, "If I was coming out west only once, what would I most not want to miss". The answer was clear, go somewhere to combine the unique red rock scenery of the west, and the Indian Ruins, also unique to the Southwest.

I would make my way to Flagstaff (by way of Phoenix) Arizona. You can stay in Flag and enjoy day trips to Sedona (for incredible red rocks AND a couple cool cliff dwellings), to either the south or north rim of the Grand Canyon (I would plan on spending a night at El Tovar at the South Rim, or Cameron, near the Desert Overlook on the extreme eastern edge of the South Rim), to Grand Falls just outside Flag, to Wupatki National Monument (one of the best locations for getting red rock AND Indian ruins together, plus Sunset Crater is next door), Walnut Canyon (another Indian Ruins park, on the edge of Flagstaff), the Hopi Mesas, Montezuma's Castle and Lake (more Indian Ruins), and so much more. Plus you get to stay in a very cool town, Flagstaff. At 7000 feet, you will enjoy the weather, the air, a very dynamic downtown. Try staying at the Best Western Little America Inn, like having a cabin in the forest. And don't miss Kathys downtown for breakfast. I envy you already.

Dave