FDn 28-85mm f/4

mark_pierlot

<p>I'm looking at an FDn 28-85/4 in top condition, and was wondering how good the lens is optically, and also how much it's worth. For example, how does it compare to the FDn 35-105/3.5, which I have and love?</p>

<p>It would be great to hear from anyone who has experience with the 28-85.</p>

<p>Well I guess the way I can best explain what I think of mine is that when decided what kit to take on our once in a lifetime 3 week trip to England and Germany it was the first lens I was sure I would take along.<br>

I also took my 24mm f2.0 and a 50mm f1.4 and 200mm f2.8<br>

the wife took in her kit a Tokina 28-70mm f3.5/4.5 SD and a 75-210mm f4.5<br>

the 35-105mm f3.5 stayed home.<br>

The slides are stunning. We shot 85 rolls of film in the three weeks and had a blast never once was I sorry I chose the 28-85mm as a traveling companion.</p>

<p>It has an excellent optical reputation, and back before FD prices fell in general, it still commanded a real price premium. If I remember correctly, back around 2000-2005 it usually sold used for around $400 US, more than the 35-105 typically brought. I haven't paid close attention lately, but I believe I've seen them as low as $100, though prices seem to vary widely for this lens. The usual sources will give you a current ballpark.</p>

<p>The lens also has a reputation as being possibly the most fragile FD. It was an early design of a physically long lens whose mount screws threaded into polycarbonate bosses. Many of them suffered broken mounts. Not only would an impact pull the threads from the bosses, but the bosses are somewhat "L" shaped and would snap off or split at the screw hole. I actually purchased mine broken and had it repaired (and reinforced) while there were still new parts available. At that time, the shop told me that I got the last remaining replacement piece.</p>

<p>Even under those conditions I think I paid $140 for it, plus another $100 for the repair. The moral today is that a broken mount will likely be impossible to repair, and many of the lenses out there may have been repaired, to an unknown degree of professionalism. The part of the barrel that breaks also carries the serial number, so a repaired lens will no longer have its proper serial. I've also seen several with part of the filter threads broken off.</p>

<p>For a while, several years ago, we had observed that a lot of the FD gear up for sale was in rough condition. Speculation ran that all the good stuff had already gone to new owners and only the used-up gear remained. But lately it has looked to me like there is a new wave of very clean gear out there, apparently a lot of closeted gear that was never used much and is now changing hands thanks to digital and estate sales. Your chances of snagging an excellent lens might be better today than when I bought mine. There have certainly been some pristine F-1's for sale over the past few months.</p>

<p>Just be careful when buying, and treat it with care once in hand!</p>

<p>I have a decent collection of FD gear - for the second time (It was all much more expensive first time around!) which includes both the 35-105 and the 28-85. It's convenient to have both as they share a filter thread and lens hood, however I rarely use the 35-105. When I originally downsized my FD kit to go digital it was the T90, 20-35L, 28-85 and 135/2 that formed the core of my system. If I were to get rid of most of my FD collection again those would be the items I'd keep.</p>

<p>I've read here that it's a fragile lens and while it may not be the most robust I've never had any issues with mine and I've broken a couple of lenses in my time including an EF 16-35L.</p>

<p>I got one for 25 USD + cleaning 10 USD :-) It is always with me when I walking with my FD set and I like it very much. I do not have the chance of direct comparison with the 35-105, but I found some test on the net claiming that this one is as good as the 35-105. For me the IQ is enough. I am more happy with this one than if I had the 35-105 since the extra 7 mm at the wide end is more useful for me, than the lost 20mm at the tele side.<br>

My copy confirms that this lens is fragile, a little chip is missing from the collar where the filter screw finishing the lens, but fortunately it does not prevent mounting filter.<br>

I think that I was lucky with the buying because this lens is not known in Hungary and the 35-105 is overpriced recently.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have found a few related tests ...<br /> Some of them are not reachable on the net anymore, some was found from different source.<br /> When one of the lens in question was not included to the test I put something else to have at lest some idea about the relations...<br>

Sorry messing up the chart, but otherwise I could not input it...<br>

<br /> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%<br /> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%<br>

<br /> Old photodo gives rate 3.2 to the 28-85, there is no 35-105 with fix aperture, but the variable one is 3.1, and 20-35/3.5L is 3.3.<br /> Ex-AOL rates are the following:<br /> Canon FD 28-85mm f/4<br /> Canon AE-1 with self-timer<br>

<br /> @ 28mm setting<br /> Vignetting = D @ f/4, B- @ f/5.6, B+ @ f/8<br /> Distortion = pronounced barrel<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/4 B- B<br /> f/5.6 B+ B+<br /> f/8 B+ A <br /> f/11 A- A<br /> f/16 B+ B+<br /> f/22 B+ B<br /> Notes: moderately high contrast, outperformed by the 28-55mm Canon FD at<br /> this focal length.<br>

<br /> @ 35mm setting<br /> Vignetting = B @ f/4, B+ @ f/5.6<br /> Distortion = moderate barrel<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/4.0 B B<br /> f/5.6 B+ B+<br /> f/8 A- A<br /> f/11 A- A<br /> f/16 A- B+<br /> f/22 B+ B<br /> Note: moderately high contrast throughout.<br>

<br /> @ 85mm setting<br /> Vignetting = B+ @ f/4, A- @ f/5.6<br /> Distortion = slight pincushion<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/4.0 B+ C+<br /> f/5.6 A- B<br /> f/8 A- B+<br /> f/11 B+ B+<br /> f/16 B+ B+<br /> f/22 B+ B+<br /> Note: moderately high contrast.<br>

<br /> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%<br /> Canon FD 35-105mm f/3.5<br /> @ 35mm setting<br /> Vignetting = C+ @ f/3.5, B+ @ f/5.6<br /> Distortion = pronounced barrel<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/3.5 B- C+<br /> f/5.6 B B<br /> f/8 B+ B<br /> f/11 B+ B<br /> f/16 B B+<br /> f/22 B- BNote:<br /> moderate contrast.<br>

<br /> @ 50mm setting<br /> Vignetting = B- @ f/3.5<br /> Distortion = slight pincushion<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/3.5 B B<br /> f/5.6 B B<br /> f/8 A- A<br /> f/11 A- A<br /> f/16 B+ B+<br /> f/22 B BNote:<br /> moderate contrast<br>

<br /> @ 85mm setting<br /> Vignetting = C+ @ f/3.5, B @ f/5.6 and beyond<br /> Distortion = slight barrel<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/3.5 C C+<br /> f/5.6 B B<br /> f/8 A- B+<br /> f/11 A- B+<br /> f/16 B+ B+<br /> f/22 B BNote:<br /> moderate contrast.<br>

<br /> @ 105mm setting<br /> Vignetting = B- @ f/3.5, A- @ f/5.6<br /> Distortion = pronounced barrel<br /> Aperture Center Corner<br /> f/3.5 B B<br /> f/5.6 A- B+<br /> <br /> http://web.archive.org/web/20050401070010/members.aol.com/canonf...<br /> 7 / 16 2009.12.28. 10:21<br /> f/8 A B<br /> f/11 A- B+<br /> f/16 B+ B+<br /> f/22 B- BNote:<br /> moderately high contrast.<br /> Explanations for the rating:<br /> Subjective quality factor style grades are relative, with A+ = best, then B, C, D, and F (worst); differences are significant across full letter grades only (unless a paired comparison was made - as noted). Corner grades are measured at 66% out from center and are less rigorous than center grades.<br /> <br /> An A+ grade for centers and corners is set to the performance of an Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Zuiko Macro at f/8.<br /> <br /> A = "Tack sharp" professional grade images with great enlarging or projection capability. Approx. 20x30" or larger print size capability.<br /> <br /> B = Very good images that will satisfy all but the most discerning users; projected image quality is indistinguisable from an A grade at normal viewing distances. Approx. 11x17" enlargement capability.<br /> <br /> C = "Soft" images that cannot withstand much enlargement - suitable for snapshot quality images (5x7").<br /> <br /> D = "Smudged" with obvious image defects in even small degrees of enlargement, not suitable for most users (only 3.5x5").<br /> <br /> F = unacceptable image for any type of use, lacks detail, only convays shapes.<br /> <br /> * Evaluations made at 24X projection magnification through a Rollei-Vario-Projar 70-120mm lens at ca. 100 mm focal length.<br /> <br /> * Vignetting (a.k.a. light falloff) grades: <br /> A = none <br /> B = noticable, but minor <br /> C = apparent and intrusive <br /> D = unacceptable. <br /> <br /> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%<br /> <br /> Lens Performance<br /> Quality/Price Focal<br /> Length Sharpness (Center/Corner) at aperture Distortion Vignetting <br /> <br /> 20-35 f/3.5L **** <br /> **** Center: G at f/3.5, then V and E from f/5.6.<br /> Corners: A at f/3.5 but satisfying from f/5.6. extr. at 20mm<br /> perc. at 24mm<br /> weak beyond strong at f/3.5<br /> weak at f/5.6+ <br /> <br /> 28-85 f/4.0 **** <br /> *** Center with f/4: 28-50 mm: E, 50-85mm: V<br /> Corners: V up to 60 mm, G at 85 mm f/5.6 strong at 28<br /> negl. at 40-85 perc. at f/4<br /> negl. at f/5.6+ <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 *** <br /> **** 35: 3.5 5.6 8.0 Barrel <br /> 0.4% 0.9 at f/3.5<br /> 0.4 at f/5.6<br /> negl. at f/8 <br /> G/A V/G V/G <br /> 70: 4.0 5.6 8.0 Pincushion<br /> 0.9% 0.6 at f/3.5<br /> 0.3 at f/5.6<br /> negl. at f/8 <br /> G/A V/G V/G <br /> 105: 4.5 5.6 8.0 Pincushion<br /> 1.2% 0.4 at f/3.5<br /> negl. at f/5.6+ <br /> <br /> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%<br /> 35-105/3.5 New<br /> Focal Length f/3.5 f/5.6 f/8.0 f/11<br /> 35mm 134 / 53 134 / 67 119 / 75 134 / 106<br /> 50mm 119 / 67 189 / 95 150 / 95 119 / 106<br /> 70mm 105/ 66 148 / 105 166 / 105 148 / 105<br /> 105mm 132 / 59 117 / 105 117 / 83 105 / 83<br /> <br /> Cont/Col 3/3 @ 35/50, 4/4 @ 70/105<br /> 28-50/3.5 SSC<br /> Focal Length f/3.5 f/5.6 f/8.0 f/11<br /> 28mm 106 / 75 119 / 106 134 / 95 134 / 106<br /> 35mm 105 / 74 132 / 93 132 / 74 117 / 83<br /> 50mm 95/ 67 119 / 67 106 / 75 119 / 75<br /> <br /> Cont/Col 3/3, sl astig @ 28/3.5 v sl astig @ 50/3.5<br /> Legend<br /> Resolution figures are; Center Lines per mm / Edge Lines per mm<br /> Other Measurements: <br /> Cont = Contrast; 0 - Low, 5 - High<br /> Col = Color Saturation; 0 - Low, 5 - High<br /> Astig = Astigmatism; 0 - None, 5 - High<br /> Fring = Color Fringing; 0 - None, 5 - Severe, r(ed), g(reen), v(iolet)<br /> Coma = Off Axis Spherical; 0 - None, 5 - Severe<br /> Vign = Vignetting / Light Falloff; 0 - None, 5 - Severe (3 Stops)<br /> Abbreviations: <br /> FE = Fish Eye<br /> FL = Focal Length<br /> L = New Mount L Lens<br /> M = Macro<br /> New = New FD Mount Lens<br /> Rflx = Reflex (Mirror) Lens<br /> SC = Breech Lock Mount<br /> SSC = Breech Lock Mount<br /> sl = Slight<br /> v = Very<br /> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%<br /> Old photozone:<br /> LENS PERFORMANCE SURVEY RESULTS<br /> <br /> <br /> NAME Performance WIDE (wide open) Performance WIDE (stopped down) Performance LONG (wide open) Performance LONG (stopped down) Distortions WIDE Distortions LONG Vignetting WIDE Vignetting LONG Color Balance Flare Optical Verdict (max. 5 pts) AF Speed Build Quality Number of Inputs<br>

Canon FD 28-85mm f/4 good (***) very good (****+) good (***-) very good (****-) significant(***) little distortions (****) significant (w/o)(***) little vignetting (w/o) (****+) warm some flare (***+) good (3.43) good(***) 6<br /> <br /> Canon FD 35-105mm f/3.5 good (***) very good (****) good (***) very good (****) significant(***) little distortions (****) little vignetting (w/o) (****) little vignetting (w/o) (****) neutral some flare (***-) good - very good (3.62) very good(****-) 15<br>

<br /> Canon FD 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Ok (**) good (***+) Ok (**-) good (***) little distortions (****) significant (***+) little vignetting (w/o) (****+) no vignetting (*****) neutral quite heavy (**) good <br /> (3.18) good (***-) 7</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Tagging onto an old thread ... my recently-acquired Canon Zoom FD 28-85mm 1:4 just bit the dust due to an 18" drop, cracking the lens mount at a weak spot between the flange and the aperture ring. First lens I've ever actually broken in 40+ years of photography -- and that covers a LOT of cameras and lenses. The AE-1 to which it was attached is just fine. I didn't pay a lot for this muffler ... maybe that's why! Too bad, as it's a handy zoom combo. Now it's my first optical doorstop. <br>

May replace with fixed 28mm and 35-105mm zoom.</p>