lens recommendation for olympics

marilynb

<p>I'm taking my D300 to the olympics (as a spectator). I'm a wedding shooter and own the 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, and the 85 1.8. I plan to rent another lens (fast longer zoom) for the week. I'm attending mostly speed skating events with lower level seating. Wondering which lens would be the best choice. Thanks in advance for any input. </p>

<p>It seems like I've been seeing the Nikon 200-400 f4 VR mentioned a lot lately. It's expensive to rent let alone buy but I'm pretty sure it's going to be my first rental once spring breaks. This should allow you to shoot anything you could want. It's heavy so you'd need a monopod or something like that for support. If you want something more compact, you can't go wrong with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR or VRII. You can even add the 1.4 TC if you need to get a little tighter.<br>

Have fun, I'm jealous.<br>

--Wade</p>

<p>The real question is what can you get into the venues with? On the site (olympic site) it only indicates that flash photography is prohibited in some of the venues. Doesn't say anything about limits on lens length or type.</p>

<p>However - the last thing that you want to have happen is to get to the venue and find out that they won't let a spectator in with a 70-200 or 200-400 zoom due to it's size. Granted the nikon black makes the lens stand out a little less, but the last thing you want is to have to truck the lens back to your vehicle and have it gone when you come back.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I don't have 80-200 so I can't say for sure - but from past experience - some arenas / venues base everything on length of lens - 3.5 inches and under (18-200 barely makes it) your golden. 3.51 and up - you're schlepping it back to the car.</p>

<p>The monopod is another thing that is a dead no-no at most venues - unless you have a pass. Could be used as a weapon and / or get in the way of your neighbors.</p>

<p>But on the plus side - having shot speedskating last year (2008) - I can say that the 70-200 works great. The only major US team member that wasn't at the event I shot was Apollo Ohno. Best spot for short course is right off turn 4 - that's were they make their moves and cut others off / wipe each other out.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The 200-400mm/f4 AF-S is a huge lens. It would be fine if you had credentials to shoot from designated photographer area. From the stands, you are really going to bother the people sitting around you. And there is always the chance that you might not be allowed to enter to begin with.</p>

<p>If you can find out what lens limits might be used at the speed skating venue, that would be a plus. If you find the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8G VR lens a bit on the high price to rent, you might consider the AF-S 70-300mm VR Nikkor zoom lens...it weighs much less, and the price is moderate.</p>

<p> </p>