Do you give other vendors copies of your pictures for free?

tina___cliff_t

<p>I've been reading up on other ways to advertise yourself and get your name out, and one thing I keep seeing is giving vendors copies of your images for free (well, exchange in hopes for word of mouth). Sending pictures from the wedding to the venue, florist, wedding dress shop etc. </p>

<p>Some of the venues we have worked at put pictures from different photographers with a watermark on it, and links to the photographers page on their website. Shows off the venue, but still giving credit to the photographer. But I'm not sure how to go about this, or if its even a good idea. </p>

<p>I just got done reading on here about people who gave away their images just to see it being used for commercial advertising (business cards etc), and not getting anything back. So I wanted to get advice from people with more experience.</p>

<p>Does anyone else do this? Do you just send the vendors a Cd/prints in the mail? Or would you say this is a bad idea all together? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yep. Especially after a bridal show or something... I realized half of my brides from the summer had all gotten their flowers done at the same place, so I printed off 4x6 images with my proof border AND logo and mailed them to the florist to put in her books. It might not be much, but every little thing counts for word of mouth advertising!</p>

<p>Once you build up a stock for one vendor, consider doing a wall collage or small book. Plaster your name on it. If a bride goes to 5 vendors and all 5 have your name on prominent things in their business, the bride has just had your name in their faces at 5 different times. Offer to go to venues before the event (even if you aren't shooting the event) to get images for them at no charge. Vendor relationship is #1 in my book. 45 Minutes of work can translate into a display with your name on it. </p>

<p>I am a pretty big fan of networking, yes I do give things away, including prints - but not necessarily only to vendors.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><em><strong>". . . and don't forget the business cards and such!"</strong></em><br>

<strong><em></em></strong><br>

<strong><em>:)</em></strong><br>

WW</p>

<p><em>"What do you say when you give them the photos?"</em></p>

<p>Are you serious? It's not about what you say when you give them the photos. The key is to develop a relationship with the vendor, not simply make a contact with their business. This is like someone going on a date and asking: "what do I say after hello?" Jus....talk, ask 'em how's business, invite them to coffee, ask how they got started in the business, ask how the internet is affecting them or how have their brides changed over the last few years.....schmooze.</p>

<p>Doesn't matter really what you say, try to develop a professional friendship.</p>

<p><em><strong>"This is like someone going on a date and asking: "what do I say after hello?""</strong></em><br>

<strong><em> (THINKING). . .</em></strong> ah no . . . no comment . . . it would cause too much stress for the Moderators. But that's a great answer David - I am still cackling down here.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>Since I have a wholesale account with a framing company, ready-made frames are pretty inexpensive. So I often give a vendor (or another good contact) a <em>framed</em> print. On the back I might write a short note (always hand-written) and I usually put a very small logo on the bottom of the print itself.</p>

<p>Total cost is under $25 each.</p>

<p>If your concern is mainly with the vendor using the images on their own marketing pieces without giving you proper photo credit or compensation, you could include specific instructions regarding use with something like, "You're welcome to use any of these images on your own flyers or business cards as long as a credit photo of "Image by [insert your studio name here]" appears along with the image. That's if you give them hi-res images, of course.</p>

<p>That should handle any of the vendor's confusion about what they can do with the image. And I can't think of anything better than another vendor handing out business cards with YOUR name and image on it!</p>