DIY Roll Film Holder for 4 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic?

<p>In my "youthful" over-eagerness to own another Speed Graphic, I mistakenly purchased a 4 1/4 x 3 1/4 Anniversary Speed Graphic (with Ektar lens, graflock back and with a few other extras) for a soft price. It needs some CLA .... Imagine my frustration when I discovered it wasn't a baby SG right after I won the auction. D'oh!<br>

Imagine my even bigger frustration when I discovered that 120 Roll film holders for this type of camera are rarer then hen's teeth! D'OH!!<br>

So what to do? Sell the camera? Wait for an eternity for a film holder to show up on Ebay? Get 4 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film from the few companies still selling it?<br>

Would it be an interesting alternative to hack up a 4x5 Roll film holder (like a, "22", "23" or RH 50) to make it fit on the 4 1/4 x 3 1/4? I would imagine it's a case of trimming the edges off the board and sanding down the lip that falls in the groove on the back of a 4x5 body and replace it to match the groove on this camera's body.</p>

<p>Anybody else tried a mod like this? Or tried something different? I'd like to hear it.</p>

<p>Rick</p>

<p>Rick - I suspect hacking a 4X5 roll holder may be quite possible, although I've never heard of anyone doing it. This film holder spec chart: http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html shows the critical "Depth to film surface" to be the same for 3X4 and 4X5, so it would seem trimming the edges of a 4X5 roll holder might be all you need to do. You may even be able to leave the "Retaining tab location" alone. I seem to recall the 4X5 roll holder has a thicker edge which the Graflok back slider bars cover when the holder is installed. You may need to build up the thickness of the holder if these edges are cut away. But I don't have a 4X5 roll holder in front of me, so I'm not sure about that.<br>

When the subject of roll holders for 2X3 Graphics comes up, Mamiya RB67 versions are always mentioned as being "better" than those made by Graflex. It seems possible by creative use of plastic strips and epoxy cement a RB67 holder could be widened to fit a 3X4 Graflok back. Probably a lot more work involved than cutting down a 4X5 holder, but the purchase price of the used holder might be cheaper, and the holder itself might actually be "better" (film flatness?).<br>

Someone within the last couple of years did an online article about hacking a regular 2X3 roll holder to fit a 2X3 Graflex reflex camera. That isn't what you are doing, but it might be worth searching for that piece for inspiration.</p>

<p>Len</p>

<p>Thanks Len, for some good ideas and points.<br>

Yes the edges of the 4x5 boards are slightly raised where they connect with the sliders on the graflock back. It should not be a problem to shim them with some plasticard I have lying around.<br>

I've read that film flatness only really comes into play when shooting Macro or with very shallow DOF. But in the end I guess it comes down to what would be the cheapest donor roll film holder to attempt this kind of hack.<br>

Using a 2x3 size holder as a base would involve a bit more cutting, glueing and painting. I need to give that a bit more thought.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Rick</p>

Rick,

I'm here to cheer you on! I also bought a 3x4 Anniversary Graphic..knowingly... back about 1984. I thought then the problem would be easily solved...but much to my chagrin .. it remains unsolved! In fact I left the camera with my father in the USA since I can't use it. Using the 4x5 back and cutting it down seems the logical route. Aren't there some funky 3x4 roll film backs for those platefilm cameras from late 30s? Maximar? Anyway.. I hope you take the plunge, but those 4x5 rollfilm backs aren't exactly cheap either. I've got one but I use it on the 4x5. There's a dutch fellow on-line http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/graflex/ with lots of info on Graflex... perhaps he knows a source for a real 3x4 roll film adapter. I wrote him about the Graflex Jr and he was very helpful, wrote me back and sent a 4x5 shot from here in Düsseldorf!

<p>Thanks Chuck, egged on, cheered on, same difference haha.<br>

I've only seen those 1915 and 1922 roll film adapters on offer at this time, but I think they turn a 4x5 into a 3x4 roll film camera. Not a 3x4 into a 2x3 camera.<br>

First I'm going to see if I can get the camera in proper working condition. Seller said both shutters are slow. Then I'll see about getting a roll film holder with a 4x5 board as cheaply as possible. The one I already have will stay in one piece with my regular 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic.<br>

I've been on Lommen's site a few times over the years, mainly when researching the possibilities of attaching roll film adapters to the different type of camera backs. Found his site very informative.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've got a roll-film holder for my 3x4 Speed Graphic. It's called the "Adapt-A-Roll 620". I found it on eBay. I've only used it once, but it worked quite well. It lets you take 8 6X9 or 12 6X6 shots. At some point in its life a previous owner converted it to use 120 film on both the supply and take-up side instead of 620. Also, the camera came with some "No. 3 Adapting Sheaths for Cut Film" made by E. Suydam & Co. of Pasadena, California. They are thin metal plates that hold a sheet of 2X3 film, and then fit into the 3X4 holder. Mostly, though, if I use the camera at all I just use the available Efke 3X4 film, since they carry it at my local camera shop (Freestyle Photo).</p>

<p>Graflex made 120 roll film holders for the 34 series cameras. And if you have a Graphic Spring back they also made a nifty replacement spring kit to keep the roll holder in place. I have a couple sets of these and they actually work pretty good, but they require RF focussing. I think the last 34 roll holder I got my hands on was $35.00 and was in very good condition. I was going to get a 34 but decided not to and sold the holder for twice what I paid for it. <br>

They are out there if you look. <br>

And the 45 holder is going to be pretty thin when you hack off the raised lip of the casting. But I don't see that it wouldn't work. You'll have to figure out a way to get the metal chips out of the dark slide area and maybe have to repair the light trap there. In the end you might end up destroying a perfectly good holder plate. Your call. </p>

<p>I thought about that too SG Adams,<br>

I figured it is best to leave the edge with the dark slide intact, so not to mess up the light trap. It would stick out at the side of the camera a bit, but no big deal.</p>

<p>For the moment I'm not going to destroy anything. I'm just looking at all the possible alternatives. ;)</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Rick</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

<p>I did this with great success, using the body of a discarded Ansco No. 2 VP folder. Removed the struts, painted it all black since the leatherette had already fallen off, cut a piece of plywood to fit the film back and mounted it with weather-stripping for light-tightness. Installed a mask in the film plane to allow 645 framing, and it was perfect!<br>

Here are a few pics: <a href="http://www.f6point3studio.com/anniversary_speed_graphic">www.f6point3studio.com/anniversary_speed_graphic</a><br>

</p><div>00ZgEa-420721584.jpg.7a3b3c31a71123f2eb231b470d268305.jpg</div>