Reading 7D RAW files in Linux

yakim_peled1

<p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Anybody uses 7D, RAW and Linux? If so, which SW do you use to read them? I know Bibble Pro can but I'm a bit hesitant to spend money on that as my editing needs are very humble. I tried UFRaw (0.15) and it does not work. :-(</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<p>I do not have a 7D but there is a new version of UFRaw 0.16, dated from October 15, that probably will read 7D raw files.<br>

UFraw is based on the command line utility "dcraw" that already includes support for the 7D.<br>

Fernando</p>

<p>I have been using Ufraw in Debian (in Unstable and Testing distro both) without much problems. The only problem I have encountered the recent past was when somebody sent me a tif file made in Vuescan in RGBI format. Ufraw crashes with this format . However, it worked for all other formats that I used it with (most common: raw files with G5 and 20D). So it was probably a problem with the infrared channel, or with Vuescan's format itself (I hear that its raw format is not really the same as the popular version used by cameras).</p>

<p>I have 0.16-1+b1 of ufraw version in both systems (basically, it is 0.16, the rest of the numbers are Debian specific I believe).</p>

<p>If you are willing to send me a raw file from the 7D, I can test it out for you. Send me a PM if interested.</p>

<p>BTW, which Linux distro are you using? In apt based distros (Ubuntu, Debian, etc.), it is quite easy to roll back a package's version to an earlier one.</p>

<p>Regards.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sorry, no experience with 7D so my advice may be be limited usefulness... For batch processing, use dcraw. dcraw -e will extract the camera-generated thubmnails from the raw files. ufraw 0.16 should work as is it is based on a newer version of dcraw than 0.15. Other programs you may want to try are digikam and rawstudio, although rawstudio's colors from my 5D images look weird. I believe they are all based on dcraw.</p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) and Picasa don't work. :-( I also can't send such big files by mail. :-(</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">I know it works fine on Windows but that is not relevant to me. Did you try it on Ubuntu? If so, where did you download it from? BTW, I hope you didn't experience any other problems which are not related to UFRaw, right?</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<p>I'm using Fedora 10 Linux<br>

I just downloaded the source code from the website and followed the instructions to compile the binary program (ir takes only two commands: ./conflgure; make ).<br>

I didn't even installed it on the system: I ran the program directly from the compile directory.<br>

Now I have the two versions on my computer: 0.15 and 0.16.</p>

<p>I have been in similar situations before when a newer package that I needed was only for the newer version in Ubuntu. I solved that by adding the repositories for the newer Ubuntu version to my repository list and then install a package foo from NewUbuntuVer using the command:<br>

$> sudo aptitude install foo -t NewUbuntuVer</p>

<p>where "-t" tells the aptitude package manager to get the package foo from NewUbuntuVer version of Ubuntu (Karmic, Lucid, what have you).<br>

A quick google search will yield the few instructions in detail used to mix Ubuntu distros for specific packages.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yakim, new versions of various softwarte are often only available on new Linux releases. Sometimes that's arbitrary, but sometimes a new software version requires new libraries/functionality that is not available on the older system. You can try to install 0.16 on your system, but you may run into missing dependencies and what is called "dependency Hell" that will force you to upgrade pretty much everything on your system. In that case it may be better to upgrade to the new Ubuntu distribution.</p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">I have a neighbor who knows Linux much more than me. I'll contact him and ask him to look at this. But in the meantime, isn't there another SW which supports 7D RAW files?</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>