Shooting a Fashion show and backstage...input pls

dipeshl

<p>Hello Everyone, <br /> <br /> I'm shooting my second fashion show next weekend...so I've posted 4 shots from the last one I did.<br /> Please have a look and give me some input on how I can improve the look of my photographs. Camera setting advice would be GREAT.... AV vs TV vs Manual, preferred f stop's. Any helpful hints to shoot spectacular stage shots!<br /> The equipment I'm using - 5D with a 70-200 2.8IS no flash for the stage. The backstage area is pretty spacious so I'm planning to use the 80mm 1.8 and in case I'm caught in a tight area my 50mm 1.8. I'll take 2 batteries and 2 cards (8gig and 4gig)<br /> Thanks!<br /> Dipesh</p>

<p>Hi<br>

your equipment set up for the carwalk part basically is OK, although the AF speed of the 5D may be a bit slow. I'm a Nikon user myself, but from what I've read and heard if you stick to the center AF field it will most likely be up to the job.<br>

My settings are usually manual with shutterspeed around 1/160 to 1/250 (with a 80-200), aperture around f2.8 to f4 and ISO as low as is possible wth the aformentioned settings. That wil under stage lights usually end up around ISO 1000 to 1600 but that should not be a problem, the 5D has excellent high ISO performance.<br>

The pics you show seem yellowish, did you set the white balance on artificial light?<br>

Try to be early, to get a better position to shoot from, you have now shot too much from the side, try get a spot straight in front of the catwalk (most likely you will have yo fight for it, as it is the most popular spot.<br>

For the backstage pics, try get hold of a wide angle, it will be pretty crowded, and a 80mm and even 50mm will be too,long and leave you with people standing in front of you (uless you ant to shoot close ups). Given the probably worse light (compare to the catwalk) shooting fully open and as slow as handheld will allows probably will be the only option, maybe with fixed shutterspeed and variable aperture (sorry don't know the Canon term for that, with Nikon it is called Shutterspeed priority)<br>

have fun<br>

Paul<br>

http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/aifw_20090124</p>

<p>Dipesh<br>

remember there are no hard and fast rules but your pictures are too tight you need less focal length, remember you are not shooting portraits but fashion you should have the whole ensemble in the shot. The client doesn't care about anything but how the clothes look and they might even want the shoes in the shot if they are part of the look. As for backstage forget the 85 or 50 you need a 35 or 28 .<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Hey Guys, <br /> <br /> Thanks for the feedback!!<br>

Paul, I'm not really sure what my white balance setting was to me honest. What should it be for this sort of situation???<br>

Steve, Thanks for the reminder re: focal length. I should have mentioned that I shot those images for the make up artist that worked on all the models..hence the photo's being tight in...but regardless, I'm going to make sure I have a variety of focal lengths this time around. <br>

I looked at the technical specs in light room and most of my images were shot at 500 ISO... If you guys could shed some light on the best white balance setting that would be great...because I see what Paul means about the yellowish tone.<br>

Also, What would be the best lighting set up for getting clear shots of hair and make up before the fashion show. According to the venue there is 'tons of space backstage' to set something up<br>

FYI - I have 2 soft boxes (400watt) and a reflector. Just not sure how elaborate I should go with the lighting. I like to think simple is better...since there will be a lot of running around, I don't want to spend lots of time setting up etc<br>

I was thinking 1 soft box and a reflector if anything... and what color background for the pre fashion show shots? I have access to some pretty big white sheets... thoughts?<br>

any suggestions??</p>