Leitz Elmar f3,5cm 1:3,5 Aperture sticking

rmeskill

<p>I recently bought a Leica IIc with a 35mm, f3.5 lens and although it works just fine and the focusing is smooth, the aperture ring is *very* tough to turn. I can move it and the blades move with no issues, but it's almost break-a-nail difficult to spin. I don't think the hanging is in the blades themselves, just likely that it needs a good lubrication around the outside of the ring. Is this something I can do without taking it apart? That is, can I just lube up the outside of the ring and move it back and forth a bunch of times until hopefully some works its way in there, or would that be potentially dangerous? If I have to take it apart, any suggestions to make sure I don't mess it up? <br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> -Ryan</p>

<p>This occurred on my first 50/3.5 Elmar. I cured it by working-in <em>a very small amount</em> of watch-maker's grease: the focussing needed similar treatment, since it was very dry and 'lumpy' However, I did subsequently have the lens cleaned because as the original lubricants dry-out they often cause haziness inside the lens - in mine it was at a critical level. You may find you have a similar situation.</p>

<p>A little oil went a long way-used a q-tip to apply it to the outside of the ring and worked it in by moving the aperture back and forth-not *easy* to move, but easily done with a finger and not a fingernail, so I'm happy. Thanks all for the help!</p>

<p>Ryan<br>

Your q-tip technique is a good one (it works). May I suggest dampening one end of a q-tip with a little WD-40 to do the job (cleans very effectively as well as lubricates). Mop up any excess with a dry q-tip. Amazing how much dirt will appear. For a pure cleaning job, try lighter fluid (contains naptha) with the q-tip. Removes all lubrication as well as dirt, but must necessarily be followed by the WD-40 treatment. All things in moderation, of course. Good luck!</p>

<p>Ben</p>