Any more Canon price increases in the pipeline?

isline_cleary

<p>I doubt that Canon will raise prices on camera bodies. I don't recall them ever doing that in the past and I'd be very surprised if they did that in the future. If anything the street price on bodies tends to fall with time, not go up. Lenses are a different matter. There have been lens price increases in the past and I suspect there will be some in the future. Obviously only Canon knows when.</p>

<p>I was thinking that Canon would raise camera body prices for that same reason, Isline, so I bought my 5D ll just before Canon dropped their US prices by 7.4%. I was wrong. I would trust Bob Atkins.<br>

If you're worried, buy it before the fortnight is up so you can continue using those nice lenses.</p>

<p>As I said, I don't recall Canon ever raising the price on a camera body. Does anyone else know of them ever doing this?</p>

<p>Retail prices sometimes bounce up and down a little bit, but I think that's just normal competition, promotions and reaction to supply and demand by retailers, not actions by Canon</p>

<p>Thanks Guys<br>

The UK was the same, printing money and throwing it away like there was no tomorrow. Guess stores will always find an excuse to raise prices even if Canon don't. I'm just glad I bought my 851.2L before it went up £80-90 at the beginning of this year.<br>

The 5D II is the natural choice for me so I'll just have to do it. Can't wait to try my 85L on it...</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>As I said, I don't recall Canon ever raising the price on a camera body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What Canon say is the retail price, what retailers sell for, and what Canon charge retailers, are all different things, and country-by-country at that. If you just look at what you actually have to pay for a camera body from a reputable retailer with keen pricing in the UK (yes, I know that's almost a contradiction in terms!), then my experience agrees with Bob's. There are sometimes a few wobbles at the point of introduction, but once a product is fully on the market then the price goes down, sometimes slowly, as with the 5DII where supply took a long while to catch up with demand, and sometimes almost instantly, as with the 7D.</p>

<p>Rather than increase the price of existing bodies, what Canon do is to take advantage of the relatively rapid cycle on which digital bodies are introduced to ratchet the price up again with each new introduction – they do that where they can with lenses too (70~200/2.8IS, original v. II) but lenses are normally in production for much longer and so they have to raise prices too. For example the 1DIII had dropped to something under £2500 while it was still in full production and before the anouncement of the 1DIV, but the IV is selling at around £4000. Yes, it's an improvement on the III, but almost all the real improvement is electronic in one form or another rather than optical or mechanical, and in other areas of electronics the expectation is that prices will stay the same or even drop yet performance will increase. Here's an example: few people could afford to run current-generation DSLRs at the CF card prices of only a few years ago!</p>

<p>The cost of doing business at the retail end is higher than ever. Even if Canon holds the line on prices, things like lease rent, insurance, taxes, shipping, etc., have been creeping up and will be reflected in retail markup at some point. Heck shipping costs have nearly doubled in the past couple years and somebody has to pay.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Indeed, it's the consumer (i.e. us) that pay. Now that the 5D II is over a year old and settled into the Canon line, I think it's worth the upgrade for me personally. I don't need a 1D series (though I like the extra AF points); the Rebel series are too small for me whilst the 5D is just the right size (+ I'm used to FF with film). Crop sensor doesn't suit my shooting style (although I have a 30D as backup). <br>

Perhaps I should just get a TS-E lens before its price shoots up into the stratosphere...and get the 5D II later in the year. But then as camera electronics get more complicated, there's more to go wrong.<br>

Decisions...decisions...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But then as camera electronics get more complicated, there's more to go wrong.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmm, I can't say I've experienced anymore failures with my DSLRs vs film SLRs. Indeed, the only failures I've suffered were film cams (EOS 1N & Rebel S). Mechanical stuff seems more prone to hosing than computer code and electronics.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Price increases, who knows (except the cost of doing business seems to be skyrocketing in most places.) New stuff is always expensive but both bodies and lenses tend to fall a bit after a while, at least the high end stuff: just compare the price of superteles introduced in 1999 to their price now (both with and without adjustment for inflation...)</p>