San Diego Trip

heatherdoland

<p>Hi fellow Pentaxians. I'm contemplating a trip to San Diego, not sure why I picked there persay, just popped in there I guess :).<br>

If I do go, I'm thinking of mid-April. Just wondering if anyone from that area would or wouldn't recommend that time as far as weather goes. I've been looking and most of what I've found says the rainy season kind of peters out February/March.<br>

Any suggestions of things to see/do or places to shoot would be welcome too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Heather, mid-April is a great time to come to San Diego. Our rainy season (such as it is) has generally wound down by then. Day and nighttime temps are usually pleasant. It's a good time for night photos. There are all sort of things to do and see, depending on what you like. It will also still be cool enough in the desert that you could get in a trip to Anza Borrego Desert State Park too (2 hour drive, depending on where you are in town). Some of my favorite things are:</p>

<p>- Balboa Park - day or night shooting, museums, old buildings<br>

- Zoo (right next to Balboa Park)<br>

- Wild Animal Park (in Escondido, 30 miles north of downtown SD, part of the Zoo)<br>

- La Jolla village and cove<br>

- Waterfront and Maritime Museum<br>

- Anza Borrego Desert (2 hr. drive over the mountains, lots to see there and along the way)<br>

- Coronado - great views of the downtown SD skyline for night shots<br>

- Rail and Motor Transport Museums in Campo - an hour east of downtown SD</p>

<p>That is just a bit of what there is. You can check out my <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com">SmugMug site</a> for several San Diego galleries to get more ideas, also my <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.blogspot.com">photo blog</a>.</p>

<p>If you would like to meet up for a bit of shooting while you're here let me know.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The de-commissioned aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Midway is docked downtown, and is open as a Museum.</p>

<p>I second the idea of the Wild Animal Park. They had just built it when I lived there, thirty years ago. It is much, much larger than your typical zoo. Many of the animals are kept in open enclosures of more than a hundred acres, and roam freely in a very natural environment. They have a tram that takes you around the enclosures to see the animals. They used to rent binoculars. Get them. The enclosures are that large.</p>

<p>If you don't want to drive that far, the San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world.</p>

<p>There are a couple of good museums in Balboa park. There is a beautiful arboretum, modelled after the Crystal Palace in London. I'm sure you can get some good pictures there.</p>

<p>If you're a little more adventurous, you can go to Tijuana. I don't recommend that you drive across the border, though. Stop at the border and walk across. Then take a taxi into downtown. If you do drive, check with your insurance company or rental car company. My insurance (State Farm) doesn't cover me in Mexico, unless I buy a seperate, short-term add-on rider. You REALLY don't want to be stuck in Tijuana after a traffic accident. Still, its a colorful, interesting place.</p>

<p>San Diego has some really nice beaches, of course. Ocean sunset picture opportunites should be plentiful.</p>

<p>Enjoy your trip. Its 20 degrees here in Cleveland. I wish I were in San Diego right now.<br>

<br>

Paul Noble</p>

<p>Heather,<br>

Recently moved to Chicago after living 32 years in San Diego...so SD is still pretty fresh in my mind!</p>

<p>I agree with most of the suggestions above. You seem to have a lot of landscapes, sunsets, etc. in your gallery, so Balboa Park and La Jolla are great choices. Both areas are very crowded on the weekends so early during the weekday is good for Balboa Park and I'd recommend just prior to sunset (so you can set up) on a weekday for La Jolla. One of my favorite spots for seascapes and sunsets was an area called Shell Beach. It is just south of La Jolla Cove itself, and just north of the Children's Pool (which has become a controversial seal preserve and not used for the purpose which Ellen Scripps had intended...but that's a long story). Google Maps doesn't even identify it as Children's Pool...it shows as Seal Rock Preserve. There's a long curving seawall which, if shot from Shell Beach just to the north, provides a nice compositional element. Low tide is best, as the tidepools are exposed and you have more area to shoot from. April is one of the flatter months in terms of waves in San Diego, so you won't likely have to contend with high surf. If you drive south along Coast Blvd from the Cove, you often find parking just south of Scripps Park. The stairway leading down to Shell Beach is just south of the grass of Scripps Park. Link to map of area below. </p>

<p> <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl">http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl</a></p>

<p>Just my opinion, but I would not venture into Mexico these days. Years ago I enjoyed driving (with Mexican insurance purchased before crossing the border a must) or, as Paul suggested, walking across the border. However, passport requirements, waiting in line to get back, drug cartel violence, and border and immigration controversies have made it a not very pleasant journey over the last 10 -15 years. Again, though, that is just my opinion.</p>

<p>Another beach area that offers nice cliff and sunset vistas is Sunset Cliffs, south of Ocean Beach. </p>

<p>Night shots of downtown SD from Coronado Island are classic. For a less frequently photographed vantage point of downtown, you might want to try Harbor Island. </p>

<p>Old Town (just off 5, a little south of 8) can also provide some nice photographic possibilities of some original early California architecture. </p>

<p>Have a great trip and I hope you post some of your shots here for us to see!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you for all the wonderful idea & suggestions guys. I'm thinking my week might not be long enough!</p>

<p>Frank, thanks for the offer to meet up & do some shooting, I may take you up on that. You have some amazing pics on your smugmug & photo blog, I've been perusing for a while now tonight. Lots of ideas hidden away in there. Steve, I'm with you on the Mexico thing. I've heard what you have said from several people....San Diego should be plenty crazy for me.</p>

<p>I love my mountains, but it will be exciting to shoot completely different subjects than what I'm used to here in Montana. I've always enjoyed seascapes & it's not something I have much occasion to do. I'll be sure to get some of what I do posted here :)</p>

<p>Heather, I should have noticed you were from Montana, especially with the Glacier shots. What part of Montana are you in? My brother lives in Helena and also spends a lot of time in Missoula. We were up there in early Aug of 2009, including 2 nights in Glacier.</p>

<p>Just in case you need another opinion on Mexico, I'll add mine - stay away, at least from the border areas. Personally, I would avoid it completely.</p>

<p>Heather, I've been through Great Falls a few times, both flying and driving. I think I've been there when it was below 0F and also when it was close to 100F. My brother lived in a small town east of Havre for a while some years ago. I seem to recall that there was a really nicely done Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Great Falls. Fort Benton was a nice area nearby too, if I remember right.</p>