D70 vs D3000

n_dias

Hi, I just have a couple of questions...I currently own a Nikon D70 and on a whim recently purchased a Nikon D3000. (TV Shopping Network made me do it!). My first question is would you consider this an upgrade, downgrade or a sideways move? I do have 30 days to return the camera so that's not a problem, just not sure if what I have is better?

Question 2: I wanted to try some HDR Imaging and was not sure if I could do this easily on the D3000? I know its more about the software (which I also need to upgrade (Elements 3.0!!)), but will the D3000 take the different photos?<br />Thanks for any advice...

<p>I can tell you this: others have written into photo.net after buying new, currently produced, Nikon autofocus lenses, which their D60 or D3000 or D5000 were not able to autofocus, because the lenses didn't have their own internal autofocus motors. Your D70 can autofocus with such lenses. Even if you keep that D3000, hang on to your D70.</p>

<p>There is an irony here: because there are many autofocus lenses that don't autofocus with the D3000, it's a particularly bad camera for people given to impulse buying, who might well get the impulse to buy lenses whose capabilities they're unable to use.</p>

<p>from my point of view D70 is much superior camera to any new cheap consumer body. It's like a gem and keep it. new D3000 has a lot of bells and whistles but no proper feel or operation. bigger sensor? who cares.... I've got A3 prints from 4Mpix. I would rather exchange this new camera for some lenses:)</p>

<p>If you like the way the camera feels in your hands like the features and like the picture quality, what is there not to be happy about? If you are looking for more of an upgrade, consider a D5000 or D90.</p>

<p>While there are some lenses that won't AF with the D3000, there is a HUGE list that will. In fact, here it is (there are about 100 lenses that will AF with your camera):</p>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nikon_compatible_lenses_with_integrated_autofocus-motor">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nikon_compatible_lenses_with_integrated_autofocus-motor</a></p>

<p>You can take the type of pictures necessary for HDR photography with any camera as it is all about varying the exposure and has nothing to do with the sophistication of the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I own the D70s and just purchased a D60 as a travel camera. I wouldn't consider it an upgrade from the D70s, but it is a nice camera. I will keep both since the D70s gives me more options with lenses. In the future, I may do a true upgrade by selling the D70s and buying a D90 or D300s.</p>

<p>sure Michai,</p>

<p>following you, buying medium format camera is a downgrade :))))) because there's no such thing as CMOS digital back. CCD is much superior in picture quality and color rendition, but is so much expensive in production and power hungry. CMOS is also good technology but not better. noise is not all in photography. by good lightning conditions each camera is noisless...</p>

<p>To N Dias, the OP: Since you now have both the D70 and D3000, why don't you use your new D3000 for a little while and decide for yourself whether it is an improvement from the D70 or not.</p>

<p>The D3000's sensor and AF system are derived from those on the D200, which was a highly desirable prosumer DSLR back in 2006. The D3000 also has a big 3" LCD on the back and the viewfinder is slightly better than the one on the D70. In that sense the D3000 is far superior to the D70. However, the D3000 in among the group of entry-level DSLRs targeted to consumers who will buy no more than 2, 3 affordable AF-S lenses. It lacks an AF motor and its flash cannot be a CLS commander.</p>

<p>Well Martin, if you go out of the context you finaly find a pretext... <strong>We speak here about sensors in Nikon lineup. </strong>Tell me please which prograde camera from today's lineup of Nikon bodies use other than CMOS sensors?</p>

<p>And, of course, at some extents a medium format camera could be seen as a downgrade from D5000. Sure a digital Hasselblad will produce unbelievable good and huge prints when you use it in a studio, but if is for me, shooting more on events and on streets, surely is a downgrade at it's size, the "huge" 1fps, huge file size, reduced ISO range, reduced lens selection, etc... </p>

<p>Coming back to Nikon, all professional tests shows that the sensor used in D5000/D90 wipe down with all CCD sensors used in Nikon bodies, not only regarding noise, but in every point, including dinamic range. Surprisingly this sensor is slightly better even than the one built in D300(s).</p>

<p>N Dias, there are plenty of <a href="../equipment/nikon/D3000/review/">well qualified subjective reviews</a> online for the D3000, as well as <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/">objective tests using consistent methodology</a> . You can easily see for yourself the differences and advantages between your two cameras.</p>

<p>MIhai, most of your comments regarding CCD and CMOS sensors are irrelevant in the context of this thread, especially without regard to how any particular model implements a sensor. And you appear to be misinterpreting the DxO data regarding the D90 and D300, which many readers have done. Let's try to stay focused on the actual questions and not confuse matters with irrelevant technical digressions and minutiae.</p>

<p>Lex, I'm sorry that you think I'm confusing people by telling them that Nikon bodies with CMOS sensors are better than those with CCD sensors. While this is confusing others for me make sense but I'm not desperately to convince anyone that this is a major thing to consider when purchasing a camera. In fact I'm sure that cameras with CCD sensors could produce as well nice pictures. </p>

<p>I wonder why you call a simple technical side by side comparison based on Nikon camera specifications as an "objective test using consistent methodology"? lol! </p>

<p>N Dias:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My first question is would you consider this an upgrade, downgrade or a sideways move? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mihai Ciuca:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>IMHO a real upgrade is when you go from a CCD sensor to a CMOS sensor. This makes the difference. That's why a D5000 or a D90 seems to be a realistic upgrade.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Shun Cheung:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This thread is about the D70 vs. the D3000. Both of them happen to use CCD sensors. Therefore, we should never even bring up CMOS in this thread.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMHO I just tried to give the OP a honest answer to his first question by showing what I believe it's a real upgrade in his situation. I did not intended any flame between CCD fans versus CMOS fans... If bringing in discussion the advantage of having a CMOS sensor is considered "off topic" I really regret of doing that. </p>

<p>Unless you really don't like your D70, I would not consider the D3000 an upgrade. I had both the D70 and D70s and liked them very much. In many ways I preferred the D70s over the later D80, mainly for the metering and the ability of the D70 series to render highlights better, while the D80 seemed to just blow them out! So I agree with most here, keep your D70. The D90 would be a worthy upgrade, but even then only if you need the extra pixels!</p>

<p>D70 was a milestone DSLR from the Nikon stable for several reasons. By virtue of being a recent launch D3000 has a few advantages over D70 like the larger MP sensor, larger LCD screen and more focusing points. On the other hand, D70 would score for the autofocus motor and the flashworks. There may be a larger list of pros and cons vis-a-vis the two but there does not appear to be any point in retaining roughly similar cameras. IMHO, you should keep the D70 and let the D3000 go back and get a D90 or a D300s instead, which will be a real upgrade. On a personal note, D70 was my first DSLR and I still repent having sold it way for peanuts.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. Think I will look at the D90.<br>

Just as a followup question. I have the D3000 to play with for a few days, but I am unable to open the RAW files in Elements 3, where the D70 ones open fine.<br>

Will I need to upgrade the software?</p>

<p>I always feel that the AF motor is essentially a non issue for the targeted customers for the D3000. When you buy an entry-level DSLR such as the D40 and D3000, how many lenses do you realistically expect to get? There are plenty of consumer AF-S zooms around, and there is now also a 35mm/f1.8 AF-S DX. Most Sigma and Tokina lenses also have built-in AF motors now.</p>

<p>The only realistic restrictions are the 50mm/f1.8 AF-D and perhaps some older Tokina lenses that have no motor such as the older 12-24mm/f4 and 11-16mm/f2.8.</p>

<p>Personally I use probably 10 lenses on a regular basis and only 3 are not AF-S: 2 are macros so that AF is not necessary (105mm/f2.8 AF and 200mm/f4 AF-D) plus the 10.5mm DX fisheye, which is the only DX lens that is not AF-S.</p>

<p>The D3000 has 10MP, much newer electronics, the 11-AF-point Multi-CAM 1000 AF module and a 3" LCD on the back. I think it is a fairly significant upgrade from the D70, although you also lose a couple of features. The D90 is certainly even better but will also cost more.</p>

• 1 month later...