Radio popper Nikon flash mount on Canon?

darryl_klein

<p>I just emailed Radio Popper yesterday about this same issue and they have not modified it.</p>

<p>Here is their response to me: <br />"The Nikon pop-up adapter will work with the 7D, but the hot shoe for the Canon is slightly larger than the Nikon so it would be a little risky. I wouldn't recommend it. But we do have a 30 day return policy, so it might be worth a try to you."</p>

<p>I ordered one to try!</p>

<p>I received similiar responses. Yesterday they told me the Nikon mount pin sticks in the canon flash and disables the popup flash. Hope to hear if you have any luck. I'd feel better if they were more enthusiastic about a solution.</p>

<p>Thanks for your response and hope it works for you.</p>

<p>Ok, so the new Nikon Popup flash mount showed up yeasterday.</p>

<p>It fits a little loose in the 7D hot shoe but after you modify it (it depresses the micro switch on the right side of the hot shoe which disables the popup flash) it will fit looser so my suggestion would be to take a small piece of gaffer tape about an inch long and just tape the unit into the hotshoe on the backside just above your eyepiece. I always carry small rolls of 1" gaffer tape with me so this is no problem because of what little use this mount will be getting. <a href="http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,6382.html">http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,6382.html</a></p>

<p>Once modified the popup flash will work and it clears the underside of the mount. The only thing I noticed is that the optical pickup on the transmitter is positioned just above and even with the face of the flash. It should work (RP suggests that the transmitter be set back from the front edge of the master flash) but I did not test it as all my receivers and original transmitter are packaged up and ready to be sent back to Radio Popper for replacement. If you think this might be an issue I would suggest you contact RP to see if this is going to be a problem. I also had to remove the velcro from my transmitter in order for it to fit into the mount. That is where the spare transmitter will come in handy;-)</p>

<p>OK, onto how to modify your Nikon Popup mount to work with the EOS 7D.</p>

<p>First the disclaimer: RP will probably not allow returns once you try to modify your mount. I am also not responsible for you and your stupidity if anything bad happens to you or your equipment if you follow my instructions. Hell I 'm not responsible for my own stupity as you will see.<br />The foot on the Popup mount is U shaped with a right and left L shaped foot. The right side is what depresses your micro switch and disables your popup flash from working. You will need to remove most of the lower part of the right foot (but not the side of the foot) in order for your popup flash to work.<br />Lay the mount on its back and with just the blade from a hacksaw cut along the side of the right foot removing just the lower portion of the foot and not the side. (If you do it correctly you will be cutting away about half of the width of the lower portion of the foot as viewed from the bottom). Cut all the way down until you reach the front side of the vertical post that holds the transmitter. Now lay the mount on its left side and cut the lower portion off, at 90 degrees to the cut you just made and parallel to the front of the vertical post. If you did it right you should have all of the side of the right foot in place and a small portion of the lower part of the foot at the back.<br />Place the mount in your hotshoe and see if your popup flash will popup. If it does your in business but if not you will have to take a small file and make a ramp on the bottom side of your right foot so as not to activate your micro switch. Just file a small portion away, on the front underside of the foot you just cut away, until your popup flash works. <br />I cut all of my right foot off and did not leave the side as I mentioned above. (see I am not responsible for my own stupidity). It works great anyway but with a little twist it will come out so hence the gaffer tape. If you leave the side of the right foot it will resist this twisting and stay in the hotshoe more snuggly. I still would recommend a piece of gaffer tape to the backside of the mount just in case. <br />I did add a little electrical tape the underside of the left foot and the back underside of the mount just so that it fits more snuggly in the hotshoe. If you use the gaffer tape, as I described above, each time you use it you probably wouldn't need the electrical tape. <br />Hey it's only $25 for the mount shipped so it was worth it to me. The transmitter is $250 so the gaffer tape will always be used by me. If $25 is a big deal and the gaffer tape is a pain them maybe this is not for you but it beats the alternative solutions (there aren't any that I know of) for right now. I am hoping that RP comes up with a commercially available mount but with the micro switch issue I doubt if they will. Good luck!</p>

<p>I want to clarify something in my previous post. After I read it I spotted something that maybe needs a little clarification. In the following quote "Lay the mount on its back and with just the blade from a hacksaw cut along the side of the right foot removing just the lower portion of the foot and not the side. (If you do it correctly you will be cutting away about half of the width of the lower portion of the foot as viewed from the bottom)." it should read (lower <strong>outside</strong> portion).<br>

Hopefully this is a little clearer but actually if you cut along the side you'll only be cutting the outside portion any way. Jolly good then, carry on!</p>

<p>It is really quite a simple procedure and self explanatory once you have the unit in front of you. Even if you screw it up as bad as I did it is still usable and the gaffer tape is probably a must (cheap insurance) anyway for no more than a guy is going to be using this setup.</p>

<p>You have to cut away and file just enough so that the micro switch isn't activated!</p>