Rolleinar/Rolleipar: A little known bonus with the Rolleipar

steve salmons

<p>I came across a snippet of information about the Rolleinar /Rolleipar set up which I have not seen anywhere else. I thought I would pass it on.<br>

I recently bought a Rolleinar/Rolleipar 2 in Bayonet 1 size so I thought I would dig out my copy of the Rollei Manual by Ron Perlman to check exactly what he had to say about this accessory. After reading the usual stuff about how the Rolleipar is fitted, arrow at the top, over the Rolleinar on the viewing lens to provide the parallax correction for the close up work, he also goes on to say:<br>

"Another trick with the Rolleipar is to use it on the taking lens for other than close up purposes, for instance when photographing a tall building or similar subject to avoid tilting the camera when it acts like a rising front. The prism is placed over the <strong><em>taking lens</em></strong> with the engraved arrow <strong><em>at the bottom</em></strong> (my italics). This has the effect of lowering the image on the negative and if possible it should first of all be tried and seen on the viewing screen with the camera on a tripod, in order to see the result of the extra rise.<br>

Similarly if your Rollei is being used on some exacting work where perspective is highly important, then some side travel or cross movement can be simulatedby fitting the Rolleipar to the taking lens with the arrow in the side position" ie 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock.<br>

Has anyone actually tried this? I assume the matched Rolleipar 3 is going to give you the greatest degree of rising front effect. Also if this was an effective solution I wonder why it was never developed as a screw in filter solution for SLR users who wished to avoid converging verticals in tall buildings. Mmmm..... Thoughts please.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>... but the rolleipar I have, both Bay 1 and Bay 3, are separate lenses, one for taking, one for viewing, but the viewing one is also a close-up lens, not a separate wedge. Perhaps this refers to an earlier model where the close-up and and wedge are two separate things, with a third lens, just close-up, going on the taking?</p>

<p>I too have separate lenses, one for viewing and one for taking. However the the wedge part of the set up is in its own holder which can be attached and detached from the close up filter via a separate bayonet fitting. They are in effect two filters( a close up and a parallax correction) joined together as you suggest Charles, with the third (close up only) portion attaching to the taking lens. I think this was the earlier version from the 1950s.</p>