Non-original spare batteries for M8. Bad idea?

<p>Hi<br>

Does anyone have experience with non-original 1800 mA batteries for M8 / M9?<br>

I guess the slightly lower current (1800 mA vs the 1900 mA given by the original batteries) may result in slightly fewer shots per charge.<br>

However, Leica claims that any other batteries than the original ones can make the camera malfunction or even damage it, and guarantee of course wouldn't cover this.<br>

Yet, original batteries cost 110 - 130 $, while the non-original come for 10 - 20 $ (there are many on ebay).<br>

Any experience? thanx</p>

<p>Well, I used a third party battery (not the one linked to) and it gave me all types of issues. It just made my M8 bug out. It would lock up, corrupt my memory card, last for only like 30 minutes, etc. Bought a Leica branded battery and my M8 works perfectly. I would only use the third party batteries in an emergency and after testing them for days. </p>

<p>Randy, reading the two user reviews at the very link you gave me, it sounds like you were lucky with your third party battery. Both reviewers had terrible experiences... There seem to be much random performance here, and since the price of your battery is almost half the price of an original battery, it may quickly turn out more expensive to give the third party a try, if it doesn't work out as hoped... thanks for your answers anyway!</p>

<p>Andrea,<br>

As luck would have it, I just tried the Battery again. It will not work in my M8 now. Shows full charge on the charger, but nothing when I insert it in the camera.<br>

Thanks for posting the thread. I would have hated to be out and find the back-up battery didn't work when I needed it.</p>