Cable release for K20D

jgredline

<p>Hi folks.<br>

I have been pondering a cable release for my K20D. I don't know anything about them. When I think of cable release, I think of screwing a cable to the top of my SLR's<br>

Is there one better than another?<br>

Is there a wireless one?<br>

Are they universal?<br>

What benefits do they offer?</p>

<p>There's no screw socket for an old-style ISO cable release. The Pentax CS-205 remote release plugs into a socket under the flap covering the various cable connectors. I don't know if Pentax makes a wireless remote, but I think Adorama does.</p>

<p>Benefits? They make it easier to release the shutter without disturbing the camera, and (CS-205 at least) allow locking open of the shutter in B for as long as you like.</p>

<p>Javier,<br>

Try to find one of <a href="http://www.meritline.com/camera-ir-wireless-remote-control-for-canon-nikon-sony-pentax-konica-minolta---p-35553.aspx">these</a> . I paid $5 for one a few years ago and regret not purchasing a half dozen for all my bags. They work real well, from the front or the back of the camera.</p>

<p>I always use one when the camera is on a tripod. It can be fun. At large Thanksgiving dinners I've setup the camera on a tripod with a DA 12-24mm lens and a flash and just fired away randomly, capturing friends and family doing whatever.</p>

<p>I think they are all based on the same cheap commodity-level infrared technology. If you carry a smartphone with an infrared beamer, you may be able to find software you can configure to trigger the shutter as well. I think Canon and Pentax use the same frequency, but you should verify this.</p>

<p>Hey, when you comin' to Seattle?</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Hi Javier, </p>

<p>The only thing missing on the infrared remotes in the ability to shoot in Bulb mode (though I haven't tried it myself, but it would be at least very inconvenient). <br>

As for cable releases, you can pick up cheap 3rd party models that work just the same as Pentax releases. I have one that was designed for Canon EOS Rebel series cameras. Works great on both my K10 and K20. I think it cost me $15 at the local camera shop. </p>

<p>Sean</p>

<p>Hi Javier -<br>

For a cable release, I've found this to work well (http://www.meritline.com/rs-c1-camera-remote-control-shutter-release-switch-for-canon-300d-350d-400d-450d---p-35761.aspx). Cable releases work well for focus traps. <br>

For an IR remote, this has good range and is inexpensive (http://www.meritline.com/wireless-remote-control-for-pentax-camera-k100dk110dk200dk10dk20d---p-35552.aspx).<br>

Mike</p>

<p>Hello Javier,<br>

I just purchased an Opteka 10 ft cable release for my Pentax K20D from Amazon. I really like it, half press will focus, too, when I want it.<br>

I'd like a wireless remote, but this was cheaper, and the wireless is very small, and I tend to lose things. I need to find the inexpensive ones, I guess :)<br>

Sharon</p>

<p>In addition to Pentax's release, the ones for consumer-grade Canons with 2.5mm miniplugs should work OK too. You can also get extension cables for these relatively easily as well--these 2.5mm plugs are the same ones used for a lot of phone headsets.</p>

<p>There are third-party radio triggers as well which have the advantage of long range and you don't need line-of-sight...though I don't have a link right now.</p>

<p>Another one of the advantages of the cable release vs IR is that you can lock the release open, say if you're shooting in Bulb. Another is that you can do a half-press to trigger autofocus but my experience with the Pentax release is that this is a little iffy--for some reason I have hard time making that work reliably. Perhaps a third party release might work better in this case?</p>

<p>With the K-7 you can configure the IR release to open shutter and close shutter on two separate clicks; this negates that particular advantage of the wired remote.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Re: Bulb mode & IR<br /> On the K-7, you can use very easily an IR remote in B mode - one button press starts the exposure, the second ends it. I never understood why they didn't get this right in the earlier camera models - it's not brain surgery.<br>

PS: I just noticed Andrew mentioned this already at the end of his post. Better twice mentioned than not at all, I guess :)</p>

<p>I bought one about 7 years ago for my ist 35mm (film) and it worked just fine on my ist D, K10D, K20D, and on the K-7.</p>

<p>With the K-7, the IR remote actually works really well, but with the K10D the cabled release is better. The K20D is a tossup. The reason, for bracketing it fires the 5 shots in a single press, but for timed exposures over 30 seconds you still need a cable.</p>

<p>The K-7 on the other hand needs the cable for neither timed exposures or braketing, and with the mirror up you get 5 shot brackets without any mirror down time, no vibration, and no release to possibly inflict shake on the image.</p>

<p>The problem to me with the IR is it uses a battery, batteries die from age and cold, and it requires line of sight as well as clear conditions. My IR remote (a Pentax) has failed me enough in cold, and in strong sunlight that I always take the cable release as well.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, putting both in the bag are a good idea.</p>