The header syas it all. The View Camera Store has the sleeves in

7x17 and 8x20, I think, but not 12x20. Polyguard will do special

orders, but I suspect that the minimum will be much too large for me

to handle on my own.

Anyone know of a source for some similar sleeves? None of the

typical places (Light Impressions, CRI, etc.) have a listing for

12x20, or any other banquet format, so I suspect they would all also

require a special order minimum.

If all else fails, anyone interested in combining on a special order?

Thanks,

---Michael

For all who are interested - Here's what I've found:

Century Business Solutions - on the web www.centurybusinesssolutions.com

1-800-767-0777

#BG150 - 17"x21" press-N-seal polyethylene 4 mil poly bag

25 per package

15.95 + tax + shipping per package (that's only $0.64 each!)

(I believe this is a sister company of Light Impressions).

Hope this works for you.

You might want to try looking at the storage products for oversized textual items like maps etc. For instance, CRI has a Mylar D L sleeve for documents that's 16x20. Or you could just make the sleeves yourself--buy a roll of Mylar D (or whatever the new replacement is called--Dupont quit making Mylar D recently, replaced it with a similar material)--cut it to size and make an interleaving folder and use a burnishing tool for the fold. Or you could make a four-flap envelope for it...in some ways paper is a better storage material for film anyways. Like Hollinger..they have a 15x23 inch and a 17x21 inch 4-mil Mylar D envelope in their catalog. Unfortunately, this is sealed on three sides...you could probably cut it open to make interleaving type sleeve out of it, but Hollinger does special orders as well as CRI, and about a half dozen or so other places...just about all of them will use Mylar D as it's the best material for storage...hope this helps. Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my agency.

I talked witht the folks at Polyguard. They are checking on whether they can make the sleeves. Apparently they have not made them before.

It does sound like the minimum order will be quite large, however. I don't have exact numbers, but they said the minimum for the 7x17 sleeves is 3500 sleeves. So, I'm thinking that this will probably not be an option, unless a lot of people come out of the woowwork...

I may use the folded 20x24 paper, as Carl does. That was my first thought anyway, but I do like the sleeves better.

I'll post to this thread if anything else develops...

---Michael

These guys do a 12x20 envelope - their PDF says they are archival... but they seem to have a glue bit on the flap (which I guess you could cut off). You could contact them to find out exact details of the materials.

I use them for (horror of horrors) digital quadtone prints as they make them in the weird (for film or negs) paper sizes.

www ClearEnvelopesOnline.com

or

www.clearbags.com

Good news!

I received a call back from Polyguard on the minimu order quantity for 12x20 sleeves. It is 500 sleeves. The price per hundred is quite low, also.

I am going to see if the View Camera Store will be willing to place an order for them, and then distribute to anyone intrested. If not, I'll probably order some directly from Polyguard. I'll post more on this once I have a firm idea how they will be available.

---Michael Mutmansky

You might want to check with CRI as well...I have an old catalog, and they say in it that they'll special order certain configurations of polyester--Mylar D--sleeves in quantities as low as 50 I think. Mylar D is the best storage material, but it's also the most expensive, and you're talking about a big neg there....I'd look into it though, because even though I have used longroll Pro-Line sleeving for roll films--it's polypropylene--Mylar D is about the only plastic sleeving material that you can find that doesn't have slip agents in it. My bad experiences with slip agents have been with polyethylene materials, but if you can find uncoated & pure forms of polypropylene you'd be better off in the longrun. I don't exactly know for sure if the Pro-Line sleeving is free of this stuff..in a side by side comparison with a fold-lock type sleeve from a well-known archival supplier, it looked pretty darn close to the same material. In Henry Wilhelm's book he recommended Kleer-Vu sleeving in long rolls....Pro Line bought Kleer Vu I think, and then Film Guard bought them some years later. At work we use Mylar D materials, but I use Pro-Line clear, locking sleeves at home because I can get it for so much cheaper than the same amount of fold-lock sleeves from say LI...Hollinger also carries Pro-Line sleeves for roll film....although they also do alot of Mylar D as well. Compared to a zip-lock bag or a polyethylene notebook page, the polypropylene sleeve material like this seems like less a worry, but Mylar D is still the best. Hope this helps & doesn't confuse the issue....my employers would say:Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my agency