Ring Flash

petewelsh

<p>I am considering buying a ring flash for my Macro Photography but would like to know if you guys think I am wasting my money.<br>

I have 2x normal flashguns which I carry around with me and also a set of lights here at home. Do you believe that a ring flash is necessary for macro or can I get as good as or better results from normal flash/reflectors/longer exposures outside or in my small studio.. <br>

The Macro flash was over £500 when I last looked and could really spend the money elsewhere..<br>

Thank you all<br>

Peter</p>

<p>I do an awful lot of macro. I haven't owned a small, macro type ring flash in years. Like Peter, I find the light to be almost hideously boring and clinical. Outdoors, if I'm chasing live subjects, I use a "butterfly bracket", a bracket that holds two regular speedlights (plus 6 inch square diffusers). That gives me two lights I can vary in intensity and position (main and fill), and I can put at least one of them 30 degrees above the horizon for a more natural feel.</p>

<p>Stationary subjects? Two fiberglass rods can place the flashes anywhere I want them outdoors, and weigh virtually nothing. I velcro a dozen 2 foot long fiberglass rods to my tripod legs, so I have a healthy supply. They hold reflectors, scrims, flashes, wind breaks, backgrounds, you name it.</p>

<p>The only good point I can see for the monstrosity that Oleg mentions is that it looks like it's incapable of even light distribution. I'd expect it to have more light on top than on the bottom, cutting down a bit of the "medical" feel of a real ringlight.</p>

<p>I do sometimes use a big ring flash (four speedlights feeding into a 24 inch ring) for some fashion and "glam" portrait stuff.</p>