Pocketwizard Flex TT5 Problem

otto_haring1

<p>- I have 2 Potket Wizard Flex TT5 units. <br>

- I also have 2 Canon 550EX flash units.<br>

My plan was to put one of the TT5 on my Canon 5D and trigger the other TT5 which is attached to one of the 550EX(Flash A, set to Master) and this Flash (A) would trigger my other 550EX (Flash B, set to Slave) via the built-in triggering system. (The two 550EX can trigger each other via their built-in infrared connection.)<br>

However it doesn't work. The Flash A fires off without triggering Flash B when flash A is attached to the Flex TT5. If I put Flash A on the camera hotshoe it fires off Flash B. But it doesn't work if I want to use my Flex TT5 units...<br>

Do you have any idea whether I can make it work? Any ideas?</p>

<p>I'm curious if you purchased the flash shields with the TT5 units. I went to get one setup (one for camera and one for the flash) for my one Canon flash in my studio setup (rest are Minolta flashes using regular PW receivers) and the store (Seattle) didn't recommend the unit or carried the "recommended" shield. Their criticism wasn't with the units but the flashes as Canon doesn't use internal shields in the flash which is the cause of the problem. Canon simply dumped the problem on Pocket Wizard and the shield was the solution. They said they shield wasn't not necessary all the time, only in some circumstances where the PW signal will interfere with the flash's operation.</p>

<p>I don't think Canon dumped any problem on PW. I think that PW chose a bad frequency. If you look into radio poppers they have none of these problems because they did their research and choose a better frequency range. You can actually reach the distance that they say unlike PW. I think it was 300Mhz for PW versus 900Mhz for radio popper. Another problem with PW is that when you change channel you aren't really changing frequency but digital encoding. When you change channel with Radio Popper you ARE actually changing the channel (radio frequency).<br>

If you get bored you can watch the showdown... about 8 sets of video clips...starting with this one<br>