OM 21mm f3.5 MC vs Non-MC

peter_im

<p>Hello<br>

I've spotted an OM 21mm f3.5 on my local craigslist for a very good price, however it seems to be the non-multicoated version, more specifically the Non-MC black nose version.<br>

Now I've heard that the SC versions of the 50mm f1.4 are quite optically inferior over the MC ones, and was wondering if the same was the case for the 21mm. I am okay with things like flare-resistance, but aside from that are the SC and the MC the same optically?</p>

<p>There are 2 types of 21mm f3.5 Zuikos. Oldest style 21 3.5 will have silver edged filter ring. That is SC version. Second style has black filter ring, is multicoated and does NOT have MC on the name ring. This is known as "NMC" version on parts lists. Some other zuikos, of which there may be 3 or more styles, will have middle versions that are MC and DO have MC on the name ring. This middle version is known as "MC" version on parts lists. John</p>

<p>Peter, the parts diagram indicates that all lens elements/groups received a new order number but nothing else. As besides refractive index, dispersion, surface curvature etc. also the distances between lenses (air space) defines the optical formula of a lens, it is highly unlikely that anything else than the coating was changed in the transition from SC to (N)MC.<br>

The SC version came both first with a chrome front ring and later a black one (both marked G.ZUIKO). The early MC lenses were marked ZUIKO MC, and the later/latest lenses were marked ZUIKO only (MC omitted in late 1981). The 21/3.5 was in production up to the final month' of the OM lens production in spring 2003</p>

<p>Peter, if flare-resistance is of no concern then you should be fine with the Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 UWA SC (silvernose version) lens. Especially if the lens on CL is in good shape and at a good price, definitely snag it as the OM Zuiko 21/3.5 lens are difficult to find whether SC or MC versions. I have owned and shot with both versions of the Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 both the SC and MC and aside from the multicoating there really wasn't a difference as far as I could tell. Cosmetically the all blacknose OM Zuiko 21/3.5 MC version does look better than the silvernose version but thats just my opinion and purely cosmetic. However lens flare was always a concern for me especially with UWA lenses so if you really want to eliminate lens flare get the MC version if you can and a good UWA lens hood (Olympus made specifically for the 21/3.5). I shot with the OM Zuiko 21/3.5 MC version with a UWA lens hood (Tiffen UWA lens hood) and it was a major difference in lens flare reduction compared to the SC version.</p>

<p>Peter, yes, $300 is a good price for the OM Zuiko SC 21mm f3.5 ultra-wideangle lens provided it's clean and in perfect working order especially if the original lens caps/case is included. A little more for the OM Zuiko MC 21/3.5 version.</p>