Canon 5d Mrk II with Nikon lenses opinions needed please

kelly_bradley1

<p>Hello all,<br>

Recently I purchased a lightly used Canon 5d Mrk II for a price that was too good to refuse. I'm a Nikon user and currently own a D300. I've never used a full frame camera before and this is also my first Canon DSLR.<br>

I'm really taken with this 5d Mrk II, it's a stunning camera. I have quite a nice collection of Nikon lenses to name a few; 85mm f1.4 AF-D, 80-200mm f2.8, 300mm AF-D, 200mm f2 AIS Nikon AIS Fisheye and others. I've been using a Fotiox Pro lens adapter and so far I've been pleased with the results, but I think this comes down to the magic of using a full frame camera for the first time as well.<br>

I'm not concerned with being restricted to manual focusing or manual metering. Though I did recently purchase a Sigma 50mm f1.4 EOS mount in case I ever did need an auto focus lens to use.<br>

My questions are: am I not using this camera to it's full potential by not using Canon glass? I've never used Canon 'L' lenses before so I don't know what I'm missing. By using an adapter for the Nikon lenses does this make the images less sharp or degrade the qaulity ?<br>

I would use this is my landscape and portrait camera, I'm not a pro, I just love photography.<br>

I truelly appreciate your opinions and advice. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>"am I not using this camera to it's full potential by not using Canon glass?"</p>

<p>Not at all. My current "walk around" 5DII kit consists of no Canon glass at all: Cosina "Voightlander" 20/3.5, Cosina 40/2.0, and Sigma 70/2.8 macro. (I'll replace the Cosina 20/3.5 with the Cosina "Zeiss" 21/2.8 at some point, but the 40/2.0 is a gem.)</p>

<p>FWIW, if you can afford it, I _strongly_ recommend the Canon 70-200/4.0 IS.</p>

<p>Also, if your adapter is not "chipped", get a chipped adapter. You'll then get AF confirm as you manually focus with the Nikon lenses.</p>

<p>The Sigma 50 F1.4 is a fine lens an in general has a build quaity that is similar to Canon L lenses. As David said you arn't short changing yourself by not using Canon lens. </p>

<p>You don't have to buy all L lenses with this camera. There are really a lot of very good none L EF lenses to choose from. Before you purchase a lens do a search on photo.net to see what other people think of it. However keep in mind that Canon EFS lenses cannont be used with your camera. EFS lenses can only be used on Rebel, 50D, or 7D cameras which all have APS-C sensor. Also Canons discontinued FD manual focus lenses will not work with any Canon autofocus cameras (Canon changed the lens mount when they went to manual focus to auto focus cameras, Nikon didn't). </p>

<p>

<p>I own a 5DII, Canon EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f2.8 IS, EF 85 f1.8, EF 35 f2.0, Nikkor 20 f3.5 AIS, Nikkor 50 f1,2 AIS (from my film cameras), and waiting for a Nikkor 35 f1.4 AIS which I just bought used.</p>

<p>For portraits, using Canon L and non L lenses give you faster focusing and IS. I use my 50 f1.2 AIS (and soon my 35mm f1.4 AIS) only for shots where I need f1.2 to f2 for low light or better DOF control. If money is not an issue, I would get a 50L and a 35L.</p>

<p>For landscapes and other UWA needs, I use my Nikkor 20mm f3.5 AIS. The new EF17mm and EF24mm TS have been getting good reviews and many have been using them not only for architecture but also for landscapes. But if money is not an issue, I would buy first the Nikkor 14-24 UWA zoom and EOS adapter and then these two TS lenses.</p>

<p>I use 10X Live View to focus my MF Nikkor lenses on my 5DII and I would say they perform as evaluated by Bjørn Rørslett</p>

</p>

<p>I use a Canon 5D, with my array of Canon lenses, but also have a Fotodiox adapter to allow using my Mamiya 645 manual focus lenses. The Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 on the 5D is especially sweet. </p>

<p>A friend of my is a longtime Nikon user, and presently is using his 5D MKII with an adapter to allow using his old Nikon manual focus lenses. I've seen some videos he did using that set up.....very nice. </p>

<p>Kelly, the only nikon lens i would bother using on canon full frame body is the 14-24 2.8. I had this lens and a 1ds III body. This is the only lens that nikon makes that canon can't match or beat. <br>

I also recommend using the 16:9 adapter so you can control apeture. you can't control you apeture w/ the other apapters that i know of. <br>

Also, w/ the 16:9 adapter you had to put it on a lens and leave it, if you wanted to use a different nikon lens, then you had to unscrew it, and attach it to a different lens. Kinda a pain if you want to use more than one nikon lens on your canon body.</p>

<p>If you got a deal on that 5D mark II, I would flip it for a D700 and use your Nikon lens and enjoy full frame. It's not only lens issue, it's also compatibility with flashes, accessory, etc. It's easier to use one system. I'm not anti Canon, I use Canon system, I just think you're better served using 1 system instead of 2.</p>

<p>The 5DII is a far superior csmera to the D700 and in your case you got it for way less, I am assuming. Absolutely use your excellent Nikon lenses on a Canon DSLR. Unfortunately Nikon is still behind Canon in "consumer" grade full frame bodies which leaves us 100 ISO landscape shooters with virtually no Nikon option.</p>

<p>I used my Nikon lenses on a Canon DSLR before switching to Nikon F-mount bodies. I am quite willing to switch back to a Canon body for the right specs and price, at any time.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.You've all given me good advice to think about.<br>

Please excuse me for not replying earlier, it's Australia Day here in Oz and I've been out in the hot sun enjoying a BBQ lunch.</p>

<p>David- Thanks for the suggestion of the Canon 70-200/4.0 IS I've read lots of positive feedback about this lens here on Photonet, I may see about purchasing one in the near future. I live on a lake and get plenty of birdlife so this lens would see good use. An adapter with AF confirm is also another terrific idea, I must admit my focus has been a bit hit and miss so far. I use a Katz Eye screen on my D300 but I don't think they have made one gor the 5d Mrk II as yet.</p>

<p>Steven- I'm pleased to hear that I made a good choice on the Sigma lens. So far I've been delighted with the results. I've only owned it for just over a week now. Also thanks for the tip with the non use of EF-S lenses on this body.</p>

<p>Bert- That Nikon 14-24mm sure does sound like a beauty of a lens. From what I've been reading online it's extremely popular and delivers stunning images. Now where is my Visa Card........! Darn I never thought of focusing with 10x Live View, great suggestion I will definatlely do this from now on.</p>

<p>Thomas- Thanks for the feedback on the Mamiya lens, I've a few Pentax 67 and Hassie lenses that I might just buy an adapter for!</p>

<p>Jason - Another 14-24mm recommendation, <em>very</em> tempting.... I will also look into the 16:9 adapter, I've not heard of these before so thank you.</p>

<p>A Novisto- I was actually thinking of selling it for the D700 but the more I used it and found myself enjoying learning the Canon system and setup it really did put a much needed spark back into my photography. I was also given a Canon 430ex speedlight with the camera that I forgot to mention, so I've at least got that base covered.</p>

<p>John- Thanks John, I did get the camera for a great price, actually my husband was given it in part payment for a job he completed (he's a tradesman) and the previous owner said it was too hard for him to use. Lucky me. You've convinced me to continue shooting with my Nikon lenses for the time being, my credit card can breathe easy for a while.....</p>

<p>I wanted to thank you all personally as I've been using this site for nearly 10 years and this is only my 2nd (or so) post.Usually I use the "search" button and have always find my questions have already been asked and answered but this time I was stuck.</p>

<p>Seems like the MrkII will be sitting in a dry cabinet next to my Nikon F3, F90x, F5, D300 and other MF gear with great pleasure. Knowing that I'm nearly on the right path in getting the most from this fantastic camera. Thanks again.- Kelly</p>