Monitor advice please

Hi folks,<br /><br />I want to purchase a monitor for photo-editing, colour work but I'm confused by all the issues. I'm not technical by any stretch and my questions are based on what I have read on the net. <br /><br />1. IPS or PVA? From what I have read, IPS is the way to go. However, many of the best-brand monitors, such as Eizo, are S-PVA in my price range. What gives?<br /><br />2. Wide colour gamut or standard? So, wide is better for fine art colour printing to match screen and final print (Adobe RGB). What happens if I also need those same images on a website (sRGB)? How do people get around this with wide gamut monitors? Is standard in fact better if you are using one monitor for both needs?<br /><br />3. Specific monitor recommendation? I have factored in between $1000-$2000 Aussie dollars (US$900-$1800), but preferably in that mid-range. I am considering one of the NEC multisync models. 24" is sufficient. Opinions? <br /><br />4. In this price range, is there really much difference between brands and types with issues such as even brightness across the screen, viewing angles etc?<br /><br />Any advice appreciated.

<ol>

<li>It doesn't matter all that much. I get a pretty good match between my 30 inch Dell 3007 HC (S-IPS) and 24 inch Dell 2407 HC (M-PVA). They have essentially identical gamuts (identical backlights and LCD filtration), similar brighness and chadow detail. The X-Rite Optix software calibrated them to match each other (a neat trick, never seen Gretag or Spyder software do it). The biggest difference is that a PVA has consistent color over the entire area a sungle user is likely to stick his head. An S-IPS has consistent color over an area so large that people can look over your shoulder and see consistent color. If you have to show accurate results to a small group of people, or if there's boing to be an art director "back seat driving", spring for S-IPS.</li>

<li>Wide. Color managed applications will display smaller gamut images correctly on a wide gamut monitor. All modern web browsers, image editing software, word processors, and even ikky Power Point are color managed. There's nothing you can do about a monitor whose gamut isn't wide enough, it will desaturate your wide gamut images no matter what software you have.</li>

<li>Once you try a 30 inch, nothing else ever seems "sufficient" again. A single 30 is better than a pair of 24 inch (and yes, I have a pair of 30 and a pair of 24, and I ended up finally configuring the workstations for a 30 and a 24 each. The pair of 30 was too much, the pair of 24 was too little). I can heartily recommend the Dell 3008. If you do want a 24, Dell now has an S-IPS 24 (2410, I think. Check to be sure). </li>

<li>Not really. I find the Dell remarkably consistent. Gave up on EIZO. Wouldn't mind NEC RGB LED wide gamut, but it's pricey.</li>

</ol>

<p>I repeat from another thread: Photo editing? I would suggest a wide gamut monitor such as the NEC Multisync LCD 2690WUXi2 . . . whish gives 99% aRGB when properly calibrated. Around $1,050. This is about as good as it gets without spending a lot more money. More importantly, it is great for soft proofing!</p>

<p>After a lot of research I am going for the Eizo CG243W... ordering it tomorrow. Same price as the NEC Spectraview 2490. And it comes with a 5 year warranty here in UK. All my photographer friends have Eizo monitors and rave about them! You could also go for the CG241W which I have seen and is also fabulous and about £120 cheaper-but a PVA panel, which with Eizo is still be better than any low/middle range IPS. As Joseph says, depends how many people are sitting with you while you retouch! The software that comes with the Eizo is apparently very good, to be calibrated with a colorimeter (spyder 3,...) - make sure that the calibration tool you use works well with wide gamut monitors. 24" I think is big enough - the ability to see 2 full size A4 portrait side by side on the screen is perfect for me. Would rather have an excellent 24" than a middling 30".</p>

<p>Edina, both models you indicate are excellent choices, though way out of my price range, at least here in Australia.<br>

Looks like I will buy either a NEC Multisync 2690WUXi2 (though I was hoping to only go as large as 24" due to physical space contraints) or the Eizo Flexscan Premium SX2462W.<br>

If anyone has any experience with either/both monitors, it would be great to read your opinions.<br>

Thanks.<strong> </strong></p>

<p><em>the UltraSharp U2410 24-inch which Joseph has recommended looks like a more professional setup.</em></p>

<p>euh..sorry to disapointed, but the Dell is a entry level pro monitor for 600$.. the NEC is by far the monitor of choice among pro and serious amateur alike. If you go the NEC route, take alos the calibration kit witch is a software and a device calibrated for a wide gammut display.</p>

<p>And i would go for a NEC over a over expensive Eizo for sure.. in fact i have done exactly this last year ; )<em><br /> </em></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>the UltraSharp U2410 24-inch which Joseph has recommended looks like a more professional setup....</em>euh..sorry to disapointed, but the Dell is a entry level pro monitor for 600$</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Patrick, I was implying that between the two DELL monitors mentioned, the U2410 was better quality than the other, not that either was a pro model.<br>

...can't find any reviews of the Eizo SX2462W. Looks like the NEC 2690WUXi2 is my pick.</p>

<p>when editing raw files from Canon/Olympus (cr2/orf files), I was wondering if a t42 thinkpad xga tft screen is adequate. (perhaps just in 8 bit editing?)<br>

if having these pics professionally printed/framed, should you risk editing in 8bit mode? or choose certain images (with histogram) mostly mid tones.<br>

or do you suggest a monitor upgrade if doing hdr, 16bit editing type work, or large film scanned files from MF/LF? I've heard a few value monitors mentioned such as:(is one particular a best choice?) (IPS or PVA panel?)<br>

*Dell 2007FP<br>

*Dell 2209WA (IPS Panel)<br>

* NEC P 221 (with spectra view soft, calibrator) or do you suggest another calibrator? (eg. eyeone display 2, spider 3?)<br>

* Samsung 245T (S-PVA panel)</p>

<p>what about a system to go with monitor? (mac industry standard? or build your own 64 bit windows based?)</p>

<p> </p>