Disparity between Preflash reading and external flash meter reading 6008 AF

lehun

<p>Hi,<br>

Although the internal meter on my 6008 AF is spot on with my sekonic for continuous light, when I use the pre-flash function of the 6008 AF with studio strobes there is a 2/3 stop difference between what the camera says is right and an external flash meter.<br>

Has any one seen this before?<br>

Thanks<br>

P.S. does the Masterware allow me to slow down the rate of continous shooting/auto bracketing to accomodate strobe recharching, they run just a little behind the speed of the camera?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Richard, The pre-flash meter of my AF body also shows consistantly 2/3 stops difference (over) from an external flash meter. I have tested it many times with different grey cards. Normally I use the exposure compensation function and move the knob down 2/3 stops. Since I do a lot of macro, after callibration, this is still much better than using a meter because this is TTL and I do not need to calculate using extensions. I did the callibration test with my friend's AF body and his shows a 1/3 stops difference.</p>

<p>The masterware allows you to set the camera to permanent silent mode so that it goes at 1 frame per second. Otherwise there is no other continuous timing setting available.</p>

<p>This little gadget:<br>

<a href="http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=54">http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=54</a><br>

allows you to set continuous exposure from 1 frame to 299 frames or unlimited number of frames with intervals from 1 second to several hours, with variation steps of one second. However, you need to do your own soldering to convert the Canon adapter plug to RC120 plug.</p>

<p>Best.</p>

<p>Tak</p>

<p>Hi Tak,<br>

This is one of the things I wanted to ask you. The manual, both German and English is indicipherable for me on this point.</p>

<p><em>"Compensated fi ll fl ash<br /> To select this fi ll-fl ash mode, set the exposure-<br /> compensation switch 43 to a value in<br /> the “comp“ range. This will reduce the<br /> effect of the ambient light by the minus<br /> value selected, the fl ash providing the<br /> remaining light required for proper exposure.<br /> Example:<br /> You have set -1. Ambient-light exposure<br /> will be reduced by one exposure value. The<br /> fl ash will compensate for the light loss.<br /> This is particularly interesting in shots<br /> where the fl ash has a strong effect on<br /> background exposure (e.g. in interiors).<br /> Additive fi ll fl ash<br /> To activate this fi ll-fl ash mode, set the<br /> exposure compensation to a value within<br /> the “add“ range. The exposure compensation<br /> has no effect on the ambient light.<br /> The fl ash output is high enough to brighten<br /> the subject by the compensation value<br /> set.<br /> Example:<br /> You have set +1. The surroundings of your<br /> subject will be rendered naturally, with the<br /> main subject reproduced lighter by one<br /> exposure value.<br /> This fi ll-fl ash mode is of particular importance<br /> for subjects in which the foreground<br /> should be reproduced brighter without the<br /> background being affected by the limited<br /> fl ash output (e.g. outdoors)."</em></p>

<p>This would mean to me that the TTL meter system will combine continuous and strobe light sources, but allow me to change the ratio of one to the other (not compensating the wrong TTL preflash reading).<br>

On this logic the only way to increase the exposure of the light is turn the strobe up to overexpose by 2/3 of what the preflash is saying is right.<br>

What do you think?<br>

P.S. What does silent mode actually do? Do you have it on all the time? I'm guessing it raises the mirror then waits a second before shooting?</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Richard</p>

<p>Hi, Richard, I admit that I do not understand what it says, too! This is one single function that I have never used. I normally would do a metered flash exposure, with a pre-determined aperture. In addition to that, I vary the ambient light with shutter speed. This is more intuitive to me. The pre-flash function works only with manual strobe (either hot-shoe or studio ). My apology. Tak</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Tak,<br>

I just received a message from the company which has taken over for Franke & Heidecke. They say that the masterware software does not work with the internal software of the 6008af. Do you know anything about this?<br>

Thanks<br>

Richard</p>

<p>Dear Richard, according to my friend who is a retired engineer of the company which had once been an agent of Rollei (they have stopped selling Rolleis and Multiblitz now), the firmware inside the camera is factory set but is changeable at factory. For example, when the camera was first launched in 2002, the film counter became confused when you change magazine in mid-roles. This has been upgraded about a couple of years later. Older cameras could be returned for firmware upgrades. The masterware can only control what the firmware allows, such as time to go sleeping, shutter speed and so on, within the limitations set by this firmware. (as an illustration, the lenses theoretically can respond to shutter speed command of any arbitrary value slower than 1/1000 or 1/500. But you cannot set shutter speed to one minute with the masterware through the camera body.) So the interval time between repeating shots cannot be changed because this is fixed in the firmware. This is what I understand with that statement. By the way, could you give me the contact of this new company? I do have a couple of questions that I would like to clarify with my 6008 and my Hy6. I can share the questions and answers with you and anyone else here in this forum, of course. Thanks.<br>

Tak</p>