Lens selection

mirzaphotography

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>This is sort of a follow up question to one I had already posted about which equipment I would need for my first BIG event.</p>

<p>I will be taking my two D300S' on this shoot, ceremony at a Catholic church where my limit will be up to the railing of the altar, and flash photography will be allowed as long as it is used in moderation.<br>

Here are the lenses I have or plan to rent:<br>

18-200 kit (<em>not even going to use this but bringing it as an absolute last resort)</em><br>

50 1.8<br>

<em>Rent </em> 17-55 2.8<br>

<em>Rent </em> 70-200 2.8<br>

<em>Rent </em> 85 1.8 (as suggested by Nadine)<br>

My question is: <strong>Do I really need the 70-200? </strong> I've heard so many people say that they almost primarily shoot with their 17-55. Close access to the bride groom doesn't seem to be a problem. The weight of the 70-200 can sometimes feel like you're at the gym lifting weights. And the rental price tag is something I would like to avoid if its not absolutely a must-have.<br>

<br /> Thanks,<br>

Bill</p>

<p >Just out of curiosity. You say you are not going to use the 18-200. Why? You can use flash. I assume it is the VR version but even if it is not.....what do you think the 17-55 is going to do that this lens will not? Do you think that the optical quality of the 17-55 lens will be noticeably better or are you interested in DOF differences? </p>

<p > </p>

<p >You may not need the 70-200 but I use it frequently. I have a more important question than any of the above. What back-up camera are you going to use? You didn’t mention that. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >If this is a wedding tell us and we will regroup and tell you what you need for more than the ceremony. If it is a confirmation or baptism where you will ONLY shoot from the altar and perhaps a few set shots outside then here is what I would use:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Rent spare D300 body. Do not even think of shooting an important event with one camera. Put on it your 50 mm F1.8. There is little difference between this and the 85 f1.8 from 20 feet as far as PS is concerned. Rent a good flash for it as well. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Put your 18-200 on your camera and use this for your primary shooter. You are familiar with it and you will not see the quality difference. Indeed wide open it is just as good as the 17-55 for all intent and purpose. See the reviews. Note that distortion wise there is also not enough difference to matter and PS will fix that right up. OK. So how about DOF. Until you hit about 30mm there is less than a stop difference between the 18-200 and the 17-55. After that you will either not be concerned about it or you will swing up your 50 mm F1.8 and shoot away without a moments hesitation. I am assuming that you already have a SB-800-900 or 600 flash. If you don’t then that is your most important rental BY FAR. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Pros have some of these lenses because it is how we make our living. They are conveniences really. Most of the time we are shooting in the middle of their capabilities and not really using the edges of the envelope. We also consider build quality which is quite different than image quality and frankly something you need not be concerned about just now. So a summary. Assuming you have nothing but what you mentioned in the OP. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Rent: </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Spare Body – preferably the D300 with which you are familiar.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >2 X SB 600-800-900 flashes.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Then go to the venue with all of this and a friend. Block out your shots and practice with the flash settings. Notice your bounce opportunities and how that looks. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Then have fun. See how much money we saved you. If you already have a spare body and one good flash you saved enough to buy another flash. And you need that if you are going to have these adventures in the future. </p>

<p>My advice is to go ahead and rent the 70-200 "one time" just to get it out of your system. This has got to be the most hyped lens on the market and you'll either love it or hate it. I did and it didn't serve my needs. Plus, the hideous canon version screams, "Look at me!" which kind of defeats the purpose during a ceremony. All my opinion of course.</p>

<p>And "moderate" flash to us means:<br>

- the processional <br>

- ring exchange (2 shots)<br>

- the kiss (1 shot)<br>

- the recessional</p>

<p>Normally we don't use flash for the ring exchange or kiss but if allowed and the church is dark we go for it.</p>

<p>I don't think the 70 to 200 is a necessity <br>

For the scenario you outline, with the gear you list, I would have the 85mm on one body and the 17 to 55 on the other: and a dedicated Flash <strong><em>on both Cameras.</em></strong><br>

I would have the 50mm lens in my pocket.<br>

<br>

<strong><em>"where my limit will be up to the railing of the altar, and flash photography will be allowed as long as it is used in moderation."</em></strong><br>

<br>

Understood. It is good you have garnered this information - but what you need to know also is the limit (if any) of your ability to move <strong><em>during specific parts or the whole of the service.</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input everyone... I'm going to roll with the 17-55 on one and 85 1.8 on the other (both D300S' with SB-600s).<br>

@RT, thank you for clarifying about the moderate flash usage. That sounds like a very realistic description of what they define it to be.<br>

Really great input from everyone, as usual. I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Bilal: A long lens is definitely necessary, but the one that you have is sufficient for a wedding. Consider buying a bracket so you can take your hot shoe flash off camera, and away from the axis of the lens, or a hotshoe diffuser (limiquest 80-20,or gary fong lightsphere) for your hotshoe flash.</p>

<p>As a professional wedding photography, I would like to say that all of the lenses that you would like to bring would be worthwhile, but the less lenses that you bring, the easier it will be to acually shoot the wedding.<br>

I know it can be mind boggling at first, but decisiveness really makes you more effective as a photographer. I think you really have to think of how you will shoot the wedding (your style) to decide on what to put in your main bag (the bag that you'll be carrying with you). I think the lenses that you already own would work fine for this shoot, unless you're not confident in using them. I've also checked the specs on your camera, and it seems to shoot quite well in low light with the ISO boosted to 1600. After all, many of the images shot in the church will not be enlarged past 5x7. Think about it, would you want 8x10's or greater of everything that happens in the church?</p>

<p>The lenses that you want to rent aren't necessary, but are more like safety blankets. Let's break down the wedding with the lenses that you'll need. Here's what I use for 40+ weddings a year, that I shoot for about 6 different high end studios. ( I shoot with a sony alpha A300)</p>

<p><strong>Bride getting ready:</strong> A short walk around zoom lens (18-55 or 18-70 3.5-5.6, or <strong>the 18-200mm lens that you already have will be fine</strong>) and hot shoe flash, bracketed, as you will be close to your subject, and you will need to bounce the light from the flash in varying directions. A lumiquest 80-20 diffuser or gary fong light would work well if you don't have access to a bracket. Shoot in ISO 400 with flash, and ISO 800 or 1600 when necessary.<br>

A zoom is extremely effective here as you will be shooting photojournalistic (candid) and will need the ability to change focal distances quickly to capture the moment. Wide is necessary for group shots of the bride and her family, and because you will be in many small spaces(rooms).</p>

<p><strong>Do not use the diffusers in the church!!!</strong><br>

<strong>The Church Ceremony:</strong> A short walk around zoom lens, A long lens (70-200mm 3.5 - 5.6, or <strong>the 18-200mm lens that you already have, and the 50mm 1.8 prime lens you already have), and a hot shoe flash directly pointed at your subjects as their walking down the aisle. </strong>Since your camera uses a aps-c sensor the multiplier is 1.5, so that turns your 50mm into a 75mm 1.8, so you don't really need an 85mm prime.<br>

The short zoom for the candid stuff (photojournalistic), and yes the aisle walk is photojournalistic, as it is not posed, and the long lens <strong>200mm </strong>for everything else. Keep a distance from your subjects to make them more comfortable. Try not to be intrusive, after all, it's their wedding! Most of the time you should not be further in than the outer aisles, or the middle of the of the center aisle, otherwise it's like your in the wedding!<br>

If you want to be close, switch to your 50mm 1.8, and stay at the comfortable distance that that lens allows you. Also, <strong>Boost your ISO to 1600 in the church on any lens! Shoot kiss with flash!</strong><br>

Recession down the aisle, switch to shorter walk around focal length, and shoot with flash at ISO 400. Your 18-200mm should be fine here as well. Posed shots at the alter will be with shorter focal length and with flash as well. Again, your 18-200 should be fine here.</p>

<p><strong>Bride and Groom with Bridal Party at other location after the Ceremony: </strong>Usually shot at a park, or somewhere else outside, if possible. You will be shooting both short and long for this. Since it will be outside F/3.5-5.6 or even 6.3 aperature will be fine. ISO 400. If there is enough datelight, shoot the aperature at F/8.0 or higher for sharpness, or let your camera decide in automatic mode. That's what it's there for! Bride and Groom shots can be taken at a distance from you with a long focal length (200mm) to create those lovely bokeh shots!! (blurred backrounds)</p>

<p><strong>Reception</strong>: Short focal length walk around lens with flash, bracket, and diffuser, or flash and diffuser <strong>(your 18-200mm will be fine here as well)</strong>. Entrance, Cutting of the cake, dances, and candids will be shot with a shorter focal length, while speeches can be shot from a distance.</p>

<p>And yes... thats it!!!! So the way that I see it, you already have the lenses that you need. You just need to buy a flash, a bracket, and a flash diffusing system! A lot cheaper than renting all of those lenses, and you'll have this stuff for the next wedding you shoot.</p>

<p><strong>Here are things to get familiar with:</strong> the lenses you already own, your camera, the different metering options you have on your camera, the different focusing options that you have on your camera, how to boost power to your flash from your camera body, if necesssary, and ISO. Oh, before I forget... don't to bring alot of batteries. You're going to go through at least 2 camera batteries, and about 12-16 AA's for your flash.</p>

<p>I know this was a long response, but I hope it helps. Good Luck!!!!</p>