How to tell if a body is gray market?

Renee Shipley

<p>Hello - I am interested in purchasing a used dSLR and would like to know how I can tell if it is a Nikon USA model. I understand that for warranty purposes, if I buy an old enough item it won't matter, but still I would like to know.<br>

I did search this but may have missed a similar question so feel free to direct me to older posts rather than answering directly.<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>Actually, for warranty purposes, you will always have no warranty when you buy used Nikon equipment in the US. Nikon USA's warranties only apply to the original owner. If someone else owns it for a month and sells it to you, you have no warranty from Nikon regardless.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, for Nikon DSLRs, it is very difficult to tell whether it is Nikon USA or gray. If you can get the original box, perhaps you can figure that out from the sticker on it.</p>

<p>Other than having the right or wrong serial number, I don't think there's any difference at all in the bodies.</p>

<p>Of course, some model names were used only in some countries, so the only way a Nikkomat could have made it in the the USA is as a "gray market" camera in the broadest sense (including private purchases and importation as "gray").</p>

<p>Some 'gray' market camera boxes have Japanese text printed where you would expect to find 'English' listing the contents... I acquired one such camera - box in a trade. My wife, who is Japanese, had no trouble translating the information.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Physically, there is absolutely no difference between a Nikon USA DSLR and a gary-market one. The only difference is who imports it into the US and makes money from that. Apparently Nikon USA has a master list of all serial numbers for the cameras they import, and you need access to such list to determine whether a particular camear is Nikon USA or gray. Therefore, the only real way is to check with Nikon USA.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the little Nikon USA sticker in the battery compartment doesn't mean anything. Some cameras simply don't have such sticker and those sticker can easily be peeled off one camera and placed on another anyway.</p>

<p>Some stores such as B&H only sell Nikon USA DSLRs (but they sell gray film SLRs and gray lenses). So if a Nikon DSLR is sold new by B&H, you can count on that being Nikon USA. However, in one case even B&H got mixed up and unintentionally sold some gary Nikon DSLRs.</p>