Sunrise

jsc1

<p>I'm impressed with the tonal transitions in the vicinity of the sun. This is a huge shortcoming of (most) digital cameras relative to film cameras. Is the M9 different in this regard? Can you consistently get good tonal transitions when the sun in in the photo, and not something that looks like different colored doughnuts around the sun?</p>

<p>Stephen, I agree with your observation about (most) digital cameras. I would add to it, though. I use a Nikon CoolScan 9000ED and I have noted concentric 'tonally different donuts' around the sun and other small very bright light sources in scans of both B&W and color film. The transition from bright to dark is not smooth. I recall that the DR of my Coolscan 9000 is 4.8 which is far less than B&W film and most color films. I am very pleased with my scanner but film still does contain far more information than is accessible with most dedicated film scanners.<br /> I made a small effort to find the DR of the M9. I couldn't find it in the manual. I came across a range of values, up to eleven, in searching the web but most of those values seem to be anecdotal.<br /> The tonal gradations do seem smooth in this example. I do not know whether such excellent performance is consistent and reproducible in even more difficult circumstances. After all, the sun has not yet appeared.</p>